Visa job requirements

buckbuchanan

Hi folks

I am waiting for my visa and just had a thought. I have applied for an STNI (Skilled Independant) visa which has been sponsored by the Victorian Government. I work in IT as a software developer.

On this visa am I:

a) Able to move to Australia and work as a contractor.

b) Able to work in something which is not related to IT (I am thinking I could work in a bar while I try to find a software job).

Thanks for any help!

Will

Hi Will

The 137 visa is a permanent visa - it has no work restrictions although yo udid sign a bit of paper for the Victorian Government to say you woud live in Victoria for the first two years. Work in any job you want on any arrangement. If you get a job offer in another State, let them know that you would like to take it up and do the yhave any objections. they can not force you, as apermanent resident, to live in any particular part of Australia.

Regards

Tony Coates

MARN 0635896

Hi Welshtone

Thanks for the reply - that is really interesting. So, are you saying that once I have my visa, even though the state of Victoria is sponsoring me, if I find a job in Brisbane I can move to Brisbane? Your post is very clear, but I am just really surprised that this could be the case.

Thanks

Will

That is what I am saying really. The State has no power to cancel your visa - For Immigration to cancel your visa they would need to find that you lied or mislead them (Immigration) at the time of your application. I advise clients to go to the sponsoring state to show intention to settle in the sponsoring state - after that, you go where you think it is best for you and your family. I'm not encouraging you to do so, I'm just telling you how it is.

Regards

Tony Coates

MARN 0635896

Archived