Can I use Academic IELTS results to claim English Language Points??

alison13

Hi, I just have a quick question can I use the results from my ACADEMIC IELTS test to claim points for my English Language ability on a 189 visa application? ie it does not have to be from the GENERAL IELTS test.

I've been looking on the Australian Goverment website and it doesn't say you can't but then again it doesn't specifically say you can. I just wondered if anyone else had claimed english language points with their Academic Ielts results with no problems :)

Thanks

Alison

I believe so, as long as you have all 7's for 10 points or all 8's for 20. Ive done academic for work purpoes but am resiting general as need extra points and its easier though apparently you have to score more to achieve higher bands

Aw good to hear, thanks Tracy and Nic! I got my general results yesterday 9,9,9 then 6.5 in reading!! Am on holiday for the next general test dates so am going to have a stab at the academic next weekend...am going to revise my socks off from now & then, i just want it out the way!! Good luck for you too Nic in your next attempt :):)

Guest Guest 47403
Aw good to hear, thanks Tracy and Nic! I got my general results yesterday 9,9,9 then 6.5 in reading!! Am on holiday for the next general test dates so am going to have a stab at the academic next weekend...am going to revise my socks off from now & then, i just want it out the way!! Good luck for you too Nic in your next attempt :):)

Hi sorry but because of the 6.5 you can't use it for points you need the relevant score in each band.

Yes you can use the academic IELTS. We did. But you need to score at least 8 in all for 20 points and 7 in all for 10 points. Extract from immi website:

20 points:

Superior English (a score of at least 8 in each of the four components of the IELTS test, or equivalent standard in a specified test)

10 points:

Proficient English (a score of at least 7 in each of the four components of the IELTS test, or equivalent standard in a specified test)

Lou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all your comments, much appreciated :)

Hi Baz - I know I can't use the 6.5 hence why i'm doing the Academic test next weekend ;)

Hi Rezasol & Lou - That has put my mind at rest knowing someone else used points from academic test, thanks for confirming!! :)