Best Suburb to live in Melbourne not far from Forrest Hill area

WarriorSteve

Hi, I'm new to poms in oz and I was wondering if anyone could give us some advise, My husband is an field based engineer and has just got a job near forrest hill in melbourne, the company are going to apply for 457 visa so we should hopefully be there in august sometime.

We are a family of four with two young children, 4 and 2 year old, we are looking for a nice suburb within 45mins of Forrest Hill with Good schools,transport,golf course and also a nice town with good facilities within easy reach

Our price range will be between $400 -$500 a week.

Also any other tips would be helpful.

Looking forward to the move but also very nervous about the big move down under!!

You've got loads of choices there :)

I can recommend a great vet in Forest Hills if you need one (Burvale)

Forest Hills and most of the surrounding suburbs are leafy with established trees and parks. There's a big shopping centre (with movies) in FHills, - loads of buses though, and trains aren't far away.

Blackburn South is lovely - but will be pricey, I think you'd probably get better value for money if you head for Vermont or Heathmont. (Have a look at a map of Melbourne and follow Canterbury Road out from Forest Hills.

Or follow Burwood Highway out towards Ferntree Gully, you could even go north or south along Springvale Road - but the nicer areas are gonna be pricey :)

Heathmont has a couple of golf courses, but I've not lived there so I can't attest to the 'vibe' :)

August will be chilly btw, so don't expect summer when you arrive - but that's probably a good thing 'cos you can settle in before the heat hits :)

EDIT:

Oh and I like Melways maps better than google :)http://www.melway.com.au/online-maps/

put in the post-code 3131 for Forest Hills :)

The Satchdog is wonderful and loving life over here - how much it will cost will vary depending on vets etc

But she cost us around £3800 all in to get over:

shipping and permits = £2400-2500 (including crate)

vets = £200-300 (can't remember now)

quarantine = au$1400 (ish)

Watching her swimming and enjoying Brighton dog beach yesterday made it worth every single cent :)