Is it possible to take my macaw to OZ with me?

Does anyone know if you can take your pet parrots (specifically a macaw) when emigrating. I have looked on the sites and they seem to be a bit out of date. I would be taking it from the UK and have had her for 16 years so would really like to take her with me.

Please can anyone help?

Parrots do not do well in transit especially long journeys, When parrots used to be shipped to the UK from Oz to sell as pets only 5% would make it alive. This is why its no longer legal.I saw a documentary once that backed this up...

Just found this too

http://www.parair.co.uk/birds.shtml

Birds may not be imported into Australia or New Zealand unless destined for a Zoo.

Please allow at least 6 weeks to obtain the necessary CITES Import & Export Permits.

CITES stands for Convention on International Trade In Endangered Species, which is adhered to by most countries of the world.

Guest The Pom Queen

Unfortunately birds cannot be imported or exported to/from Oz.

The prices of parrots are ridiculous as well, African Greys are around the same price as Blue and Gold Macaws between $5,000 - $8,000.

On the bright side you can pick up a cockatoo for $60

Just to let everyone here know that AQIS are at the moment doing a risk assessment into bringing parrots into OZ. It may take a few years to get going and be put into place but it is good news for those of us who really want their parrots with them.