nice areas in Sydney

Guest wietske

Guest wietske

Hi all,

We're moving to Sydney in about 2 weeks time - VERY exiciting - but haven't got a clue as to where to live yet. Boyfriend has a job in CBD so ideally somewhere relatively close to there but what are the nice areas? (I'm a freelance journalist and therefore somewhat more flexible but I dont want him to commute for hours just so that I can live somewhere nice). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, we'll have about 3 weeks to find a place and get settled before he starts his job!

thanks in advance!

Guest MoreSkippy
Hi all,

We're moving to Sydney in about 2 weeks time - VERY exiciting - but haven't got a clue as to where to live yet. Boyfriend has a job in CBD so ideally somewhere relatively close to there but what are the nice areas? (I'm a freelance journalist and therefore somewhat more flexible but I dont want him to commute for hours just so that I can live somewhere nice). Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, we'll have about 3 weeks to find a place and get settled before he starts his job!

thanks in advance!

Hi...Just got back from two weeks reccie in Sydney...IMO, these are my impressions:

1) Stay away from the West (apart from the Blue mountains area). Firstly, crime is high in areas like Paramatta (I did hear of two crimes there in my stay!! - :shocked:)

Paramatta is an up and coming area but has still some bad reputation. If you did decide to go there, there are few positives like: food is cheap, rent compares well with rest of Sydney, and rail connections are extremely good - straight trains into CBD - including express trains!!!

Rents are roughly around $250 plus for two bed flat. Liverpool and Cabramatta are also rough areas...

Anyway, I am sure I have pissed off few peoples already!! But these are my impressions and trust me, some opinions about these areas came from the locals!!

2) Best avoid areas like Bondi, Coogee and anything south of this but not south of Airport!

These are really places for surfer dudes, young people. Not families!

3) You have two options that are worth exploring if you're a family and want to be closer to CBD:

Chatswood area and vicinity of this: Really nice residential areas around Chatswood and there is a train line into CBD, which runs regularly and also bus connections.

It's a place where you could bring up kids. The trade off is that rents are higher and are roughly in the area of $400 plus per week for a two bed flat. More if you needed bigger place. Also, you're not close to the beaches...A journey from Chatswood to the closest family beach, ie Manly, would take at least an hour (to and fro).

North Sydney: Now this doesn't mean the CBD section of it. It's Manly, Queenscliff, curl curl (no I didn't repeat the word, it's what it's called!! :biglaugh:) and Dee why.

All of these areas have beautiful beaches, schools, restaurants etc..But the prices are similar to Chatswood, and some of these places, like Manly and Queenscliff don't have rail connections to CBD. They have however express bus connections to CBD!

Manly has the added advantage of direct connection to Sydney CBD via the ferry.

4) Areas immediately adjacent to CND, like Kirribili, Neutral Bay and Mosman are also worth a look. They are very lush, leafy residential area with ferry links to CBD.

You are close to Luna Park (Milsons Point) and if you're lucky you could get a view on to the Opera house and definitely the coat hanger (harbour) bridge!

Prices vary. I thought they were in excess of $450 per weekfor a two bed flat but couple of guys at work live there and pay around $350 per week for two bedder flat!

Hope this has helped.

Guest wietske

Hi MoreSkippy,

Thanks very much! Many areas I haven't heard of before - no surprise as never set foot in Oz before - and def worth bearing in mind! You wouldn't happen to know what the living situation is in areas like Woolloomooloo, Darlinghurst, Surrey Hills, Paddington and Kings Cross?

thanks!

Guest Coffee
You wouldn't happen to know what the living situation is in areas like Woolloomooloo, Darlinghurst, Surrey Hills, Paddington and Kings Cross?

thanks!

The areas above are Inner East - very central, some parts very trendy and all very urban, cosmopolitain. Lots (LOTS!) of cafes, restaurants, pubs and all close to the CBD. It's built up and densly populated. Rents are high due to the central location (check Real Estate for Sale, Rent and Share @ Domain.com.au for rentals). Certainly a kind of groovy feel to it. My personal view is "great for spending a night out but wouldn't want to live there". This would not be the area I need to move to Sydney for. But, again, that's my own personal view.

What kind of area are you looking for?

Guest wietske

Hi Coffee,

thanks for that info! I personally think I'd like Manly but then I'm a freelance journalist and can work from home. My boyfriend is the one who will be commuting so it's got to be within easy reach of CBD, ideally reasonably green/ near beach and we'd be looking to spend between 400-500 per week on a large one or normal size two bed flat. what would you recommend?

Guest Coffee
My boyfriend is the one who will be commuting so it's got to be within easy reach of CBD, ideally reasonably green/ near beach and we'd be looking to spend between 400-500 per week on a large one or normal size two bed flat. what would you recommend?

I think Manly is a good starting point. Easy commute by ferry, close to (actually right by) the beach and a great cafe and restaurant scene. And for your budget you will find places. What I don't like about it is that it becomes very touristy on the weekends.

Another area would be Bronte Beach. This has just been voted/declared Sydney's most liveable suburb, so it might get a bit pricey in the near future.

Eastern subs (Double Bay etc.) are nice but already very pricey.

I have just moved to Mosman (Lower North Shore) which also has lots of shops and cafes, Balmoral Beach nearby and the ferry takes 20min to CBD but it feels less touristy and closer to Sydney.

In general, living close to the beach is expensive and, if North Shore, requires some time to get to the CBD.

Guest sammy11

heh i would look north, manly, mosman,neutral bay, seaforth,curl curl - all pretty quick to the city.

kings cross etc are pretty similar to london's kings cross - not for living in. IMHO

You do know that Kings Cross is Sydney's Soho dont you? Take the evening bus tour around the area and you will see the girls/boys on display. I wouldnt recommend living there!

Mosman would be my choice but I think you would need rather deep pockets (but that may just be because of the place I usually stay in there - a friend's dad's very luxurious pad!).

Hi.................Just my opinion/experience...................I have gone for South of the Airport, Kyeemagh,Brighton,Ramsgate,Sans Souci to name but a few of the Suburbs there! Right on the Beach, 13mins to the City, Good Rail Connections etc I have a Family (3 Girls) so it was just what felt "right" for us.........................I have been living in Alexandria for 7 weeks....................Did NOT like it there at all!!!!!!

Guest Coffee
Mosman would be my choice but I think you would need rather deep pockets.

It's actually not too bad. When I was looking around on the Lower North Shore, Mosman was one of the more affordable areas. And certainly the nicest! I can only speak for rentals but in the $420-$470pw bracket there were (and certainly still are) plenty of decent 2 bedders around. As long as you don't start looking on the Balmoral side of Military Road, of course...:cool:

Guest Watersports

This is sooooo subjective. Of course everyone is going to say where they live is great....including me :-)

I live in Paddington and love it as I'm so close to everything and the area is great, lots of nice bars, restaurants and cafes - not to mention the fab shopping! For the first year you spend your whole time traveling in to the city and out to see people so it's good to be located near to good transport links and as central as possible. Majority of people then move further out when they have a good idea of where they want to settle and perhaps where their friends are/work etc.

Totally understand why families wouldn't want to live in the East due to prices and smaller properties (I'm of course generalising here) but on the same token, I'm not that keen to live in the North as all my friends and entertainment and events happen in the East (Surry Hills, Darlinghurst, Paddington) and I love having a short travel time to everything.

At the end of the day you just have to get out here and see for yourself, try and spend as much time as you can looking around and see where you feel you fit! Good luck

Guest lee winspear

although manley is very nice but very expensive, we are moving over soon, and looking to go to either Elderslie, Mount Annan area of Campbelltown, weve been twice and its very nice, felt like we belonged there, and only 40k from sydney .:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Archived