Application Before Viewing?

Angelini

Good evening everyone - I hope you're well. My husband and I moved to Melbourne a week ago and I've been looking for places ever since ... I've been to a quite a few viewings but haven't found anywhere that I could see us living and our temporary accommodation is only until the 22nd.

I'm getting more and more nervous about not even having applied for anywhere, but my husband doesn't have any concerns (he is still set on the UK market where you can find somewhere the weekend before you need to move!). I've found somewhere that sounds fantastic - 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, AND is pet friendly! (the absolute top of our budget, but seems well worth it) - but there aren't any OFIs listed and I can't get in touch with the specific agent looking after the property ... do you think it's worth while to submit an application without seeing the place or is that too risky?

Also, my OH is working and can easily cover the rent, but we can't offer to pay months in advance as I've seen some people suggest - will a cover letter saying that we've just moved along with a letter from his employer stating his salary be enough to help us be approved? Should I ask our previous agent from the UK to write a letter to support our application saying that we always paid the rent on time etc?

I've spoken to loads of estate agents, but none of them seem very helpful - they seem to expect me to be happy that they're giving me 30 seconds of their time - SOO different from London where they're crawling all over you!

Hi Angelini,

I could be wrong but I'm not sure you are actually allowed to submit an application without seeing the property. I'm pretty sure on most rental applications there is a question which asks if you have viewed the property.

Also, I'm not sure you'd want to; what looks fantastic in theory and in a few select photos isn't always what it's cracked up to be. We've rented several places in both Brisbane and Sydney and attended countless open inspections - and more often than not they are not all what they seemed to be. Attending a viewing also gives you the opportunity to meet the RE Agent which can only be a good thing. It also gives the agent a chance to form an opinion on you too and could help with your application if you make a good impression.

Also, depending on the place, you can get a sneaky look at potential neighbours etc.

You probably already know this but when you go to a viewing it's a good idea to take several copies of your details eg. passports, visas, bank details, references (if you have any) job contracts.... this way if you really like a place you can go straight to their office and submit an application straight away.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the reality check - I'm getting so paranoid about not finding somewhere in time - the serviced apartment that my OH's work is paying for is WAY too expensive for us to stay in after they stop paying for it!

Finally got in touch with the agent this morning and have booked a viewing for Tuesday. Fingers crossed that the photos online are a fair picture and not from 10 years ago like the last place I saw! Haha

Guest Guest31881

Hi as lisa said, make sure you have everything ready to apply.

Make up your own application pack with copies of passport, driving license. Bank details and your husbands employment details, If you can present them with a professional looking application it makes it look like you are an organised and tidy person. If you can use a folder or something similar it can help to create a good impression.

Good luck with the house hunting and the application.

Guest marcossupra

Hey Angeli,

do not be tied up in just one property, I was at the same situation and I paid for two weeks in a hotel, now what you need to do is keep looking, attending to inspections and apply for those you are interested.

We've moved in two different properties here in Melbourne, NOT EASY but try to find more than one and go ahead.

Some houses looks like big and awesome in the picture but when you go to inspect, it is really small and sometimes not good.

Good lucky for you both

Cheers

Marcos

Archived