What can you bring into Australia?

Guest YellowGecko

Guest YellowGecko

I see many posts on here asking what you can and cannot bring into the country.

Thought this link below may be helpful.

It simply contains a scan of the Incoming Passenger card which everybody must fill out before entering Australia. I guess if people stick to what is on there when filling up their Oz-bound shipping containers, then I guess you cannot go wrong.

Anyway thought it might be of interest for those who have not seen it before, or even for those simply visiting for the 1st time.

Incoming passenger card • Australia

That's handy YG. When you get it on the plane it would be handy to have familiarised yourself with it before filling it out. I kept checking with people to make sure I'd done it right; I was a bit paranoid after watching Border Security!

Jo x

Hi Jo,

Have printed that out thanks.

Have filled in a couple before but they always scare me, especially after watching Boarder Security. We didn't declare sweets on our last trip and were told off, somehow i didn't see them as food, but of course anything you can eat is basically food. If in doubt just throw everything away i say..

I am looking forward to being able to tick the box A on the back that says "Migrating perminatly to Australia" Still waiting for our 136 visa hopefully it'll be one day this month.

Take care Alison x

Guest YellowGecko

The people at Customs are actually really nice if you are totally open and honest.

Lat time back in from the UK, Jo and I brought back a load of Maynards Wine gums, which we declared. They were fine and let us keep them. ALL of them! Yummmmmmmmm!

Usually as long as it is a sealed box or bag of sweets etc. they will let you keep it.

If you think you have something which may be an issue, just speak up and say something. AND fill it in on your card!!! You cannot get fined then.

Honesty is the best policy when it comes to Customs.

No need to be afraid then.

hi just a couple of questions do i need to fill one out for each of us going and is this the form that replaces the one on the plane to declare what your carrying ie prescribed drugs like inhalers and hayfever tabs etc.:cute:

Guest RebeccaWells

I think it's also worth pointing out that when you move to Australia permanently, customs are really hot on your heels with what you can and can't bring in in your boxes.

We had three pairs of shoes jet cleaned by customs at $50 bucks a pop - we came from UK so they're pretty strict about having clean shoes - I guess it's something to do with CJD. SO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SUPER CLEAN SOLES ON ALL YOUR SHOES!

Also - I'd advise against bringing any alcohol in your shipment as you get taxed on it. It's more hassle than it's worth.

Rebecca x

When we went to Oz to validate at the end of Jan I declared the teabags, sweets and choc including bags of M&S white choc covered strawberries and toffee popcorn.

We were passed through customs, no bags checked, no problems

about 3 days into our visit we opened the carrier bag with the M&S stuff and found an empty Sushi box and a pack of mini scotch eggs :shocked: :embarrassed:

:policeman:

I was mortified, our first visit to Oz as permanent residents and we inadvertantly bring in forbidden food items.

moral of this story check your bloomn carrier bags before you pack them in your case - or don't let hubby go shopping with you and forget to eat his scotch eggs:swoon:

Archived