Vale Leonard Cohen

starlight7

I first encountered the music of Leonard Cohen in 1970, sitting in my friends bedsit listening to an LP called "the Rock machine turns you on" The last track was by this obscure Canadian guy called Leonard Cohen. The track was 'The sisters of mercy'.

I was was at that time in the process of losing a beloved relative to cancer, and the words of the song just blew me away. It was the only comfort I found outside my home during a whole awful desperate year. Loved him to the end after that.

I loved the album "Songs of Love and Hate". It had great songs like "Avalanche", "Famous Blue Raincoat" and "Dress Rehearsal Rag" - very dark stuff - but I didn't discover him until the early 80's and his songs were a contrasting relief from all the new romantic crap that was happening at the time. Surprisingly the album only got to number 145 on the US charts but got to number 4 in the UK. Just shows the taste and intelligence of the British is so much superior to those philistine Yanks.

I loved the album "Songs of Love and Hate". It had great songs like "Avalanche", "Famous Blue Raincoat" and "Dress Rehearsal Rag" - very dark stuff - but I didn't discover him until the early 80's and his songs were a contrasting relief from all the new romantic crap that was happening at the time. Surprisingly the album only got to number 145 on the US charts but got to number 4 in the UK. Just shows the taste and intelligence of the British is so much superior to those philistine Yanks.

Now there was a depressing time in music. The early 80's and all that romantic 'crap', as you put it.