HELP!!! I have found a baby duck!

Rudi

Well it's just a normal day in the Rudi household and as usual we have an animal crisis!!!! We now have a duckling!!! I found the poor little thing running around the garden being chased by my beagle! No mummy duck in sight. No idea how the poor little thing got in - we are on acreage so I guess there may be a little hole in the fence somewhere. Anyway, rather than leave the poor little thing to be luxury doggy lunch, it's now installed in a big pet carrier!!!

HELP! What do I do now!!!

Love

Rudi

x

PS All 11 baby fish are still alive and doing well :cute::fish2:

PPS Now I need a duck icon :jiggy:

Guest guest30038
Well it's just a normal day in the Rudi household and as usual we have an animal crisis!!!! We now have a duckling!!! I found the poor little thing running around the garden being chased by my beagle! No mummy duck in sight. No idea how the poor little thing got in - we are on acreage so I guess there may be a little hole in the fence somewhere. Anyway, rather than leave the poor little thing to be luxury doggy lunch, it's now installed in a big pet carrier!!!

HELP! What do I do now!!!

Love

Rudi

x

PS All 11 baby fish are still alive and doing well :cute::fish2:

Good! At least you've got something to feed the duck on :biglaugh:

Feed it mashed veggies and if you can, get some duck mash from a produce store.............whatever you do don't feed it poultry food.

I was going to say make sure it's got plenty of water :rolleyes:

kev

OK, well I called my vet......and they said I can keep it :wink:

They said I need some baby duck food so I'll head out and get some later - the kids have friends here at the mo for play dates.

They said to put some straw in for it......so I've done that....

Put some water in a tub so it can have a swim........so I've done that......

And we've called it Rosie :cute:

Oh and she bites me every time I put my hand in the thingy where she is!!

Love

Rudi

x

Good! At least you've got something to feed the duck on :biglaugh:

Feed it mashed veggies and if you can, get some duck mash from a produce store.............whatever you do don't feed it poultry food.

I was going to say make sure it's got plenty of water :rolleyes:

kev

Kev, water is a banned topic today. Be careful...

Guest guest30038
2557781492_6604c8c7e8.jpg

:tongue::tongue:

Poor taste gal...............wait a minute?:idea: No, they taste delish actually :biglaugh:

kev

Guest siamsusie
Not a very good picture......but here's the duck!!!

Love

Rudi

x

:huh:Oh he is a cutie.... no you cant eat him.. anything that has a name cant be eaten!

Well I went to the produce store and they advised that we took the duck to the vet or a wildlife place. They said that because it's a wild duck it would fly away as soon as it's big enough and it wouldn't have the tools to look after itself in the wild......

So Rosie the duck will be heading to the vet very soon!

Love

Rudi

x

Guest sh7t man no way

:biglaugh:Just set yourself up with a pond now? Maybe you will get some:animal-frog:to join your:fish: and there are no icons for ducks!!!
you could allways use this one:Randy-git:oh you mean duck:confused:congrats on your duck rudi--the way its going at the mo--you could open a pet shop:wubclub:

Guest VickyMel

:laugh: Have you got a sign outside somewhere saying all baby animals welcome Rudi?

Is it one brood of orphans a week - what will it be next week?? :fish2:

Can't I keep it?!

Love

Rudi

x

Friend of mine reared a white duck from a tiny age - to adulthood.

Used to come to work - go out on trips (went everywhere in a basket lined with newspaper) - great little fella - even shared a room with him overnight once - little happy quacking noises.

He even came on holiday with us house sitting - made a bit of a mess in their pool but was great watching him underwater darting around us as we doggy paddled.

But was out at the motorway service station stretching his legs on the drive back and forth - no probs!

Well I went to the produce store and they advised that we took the duck to the vet or a wildlife place. They said that because it's a wild duck it would fly away as soon as it's big enough and it wouldn't have the tools to look after itself in the wild......

So Rosie the duck will be heading to the vet very soon!

Love

Rudi

x

My friend reared the duck well to a reasonable age if I remember correctly (probably moved on to give him a bit of stability in his life than living on the move with my friend between accommodation / office etc.) - eventually he went on to live at a duck farm (that produced duck meat :wideeyed: but lived with their non eating ducks :biglaugh:)

He was killed a few years later by a predator.

Alternatives - will the vets/wildlife places train for release or keep in a cage anyway?

If not then perhaps you could give Rosie a better life anyway?

You could even take her around to the odd river to show her how to feed (I thikn it comes pretty naturally???)

Cut the feathers of 1 wing to prevent him flying (only really suitable if you have a big garden and he will be safe in it from dogs once he reaches size, regular feather clipping makes flight wobbly and they can only reach a certain height etc)

You may find the duck in-prints on you and is pretty happy to hang around the garden anyway?

People have 'wild' ducks in the UK in their gardens.

I'd get more advise before making the decision.

Vicky

Guest The Pom Queen
I am sorry to report that little Rosie didn't make it. She went downhill very quickly. She had spent a day outside and been fine in a little enclosure in the garden, but sadly died that night.

Love

Rudi

x

Sorry to hear this Rudi, you don't know maybe she had some internal injuries and that's why the mother duck had left her, nature can be cruel like that sometimes. At least you gave her a lovely home.

Hugs

Kate:hug:

Archived