Spouse Visa

Guest mary030

Guest mary030

Hello there everyone.

We are new to this forum, my sister recommended it and I must say it is very addictive. I need some help if anyone can.

I was born in England, however I do have an Australian Passport and Citizenship because of my mum. I have only ever been on holiday to Australia once when I was 16. I am now 36, my husband is 42 and we have a little girl who is 4.

Has anyone applied for a spouse visa? if so, was it very difficult to do so? I have just been informed today that it would be easier for my husband to go on a skilled visa instead of a spouse visa. I am very surprised by this.

I would appreciate any answers that anyone may have.

Thanks

Mary, Eddie and Ciara

:nah:

Guest gemmahey

I am surprised at this too!

I am a hairdresser so i could have gone on the skilled visa but decided to go on a spouse visa because my partner is aussie.

it was easy alot easier than having to do a TRA.

if you want any advice or have any questions just ask.

I have just had my medicals and waiting now.

I did mine without an agent too

hiya,

I'm in the process of applying for my spouse visa (defacto) and from all I have heard on here it is by far the easiest and quickest visa to apply for, I would go for this. Is it possible ot get your little girl a passport through descent or would you need to have been born in Oz?

Not sure on how mucha skills visa costs but a defacto spouse is £655 (plus meds and police checks) not sure if it's cheaper for married people. People are usually gettin them in about 6 - 12 weeks I think.

Gollywobbler who is a moderator for this site knows all there is to know aabout visas it seems, maybe PM her?

Good luck,

Naomi :spinny:

Guest mary030

Thanks guys for your responses. We cannot get Ciara a passport until she too has lived permanently in Oz for 2 years.

Do you think it will be any harder the fact that I was not born in Australia?

We have been married for 10 years this year, so it is not that we cannot prove our relationship.

We are thinking of doing it ourselves as well instead of using an agent. (Hope that we don't regret it).

Hopefully all will work out, if anyone hears anything else please let me know.

We are now a little more hopeful about the spouse visa again.

Thanks

Mary, Eddie & Ciara

(Hopefully will be heading to Brisbane next year before Ciara starts school).

:spinny:

Guest gemmahey

I personally really dont think you need an agent for a spouse visa it is quite straight forward. I would print off the booklet off immi website follow this link

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

This booklet tells you EVERYTHING print it off and keep going back to it throughout the process i read it through lots of times and keep going back to it for help.

Mary,

there is something on the aussie immigration site about returning australian citizens, im not too sure about it all but it could well apply to you, Gill (gollybobbler) im sure would be able to help as someone else suggested.

good luck

gizmo

Guest Mrs C

Hi Mary

I have been granted my Spouse visa as my Husband was born in Oz, but he left aged 3 years and has never been back since. He got his Ozzie Passport from Australia House within 48 hours of applying for it. We couldn't believe how quick it came.

Then once all my paperwork was submitted it took 6 weeks for my visa grant, it would have been quicker if I didn't have a small problem regarding my ex. But that said, it was a very quick process and I can't imagine why anyone would choose the Skilled Visa over a Spouse Visa.

Even if you don't use an agent give a few a quick call and seek some advice. (most don't charge for a quick chat)

Also if you can proove that you & your husband have been together for more than 7 years, he should get PR stright off.

However I am not sure what goes with your daughter, as my children are from a previous relationship! They have all been granted their visa's on the back of my application so the same rules apply to them.

I hope this helps a bit and that I haven't rambled on too much.

Good Luck

April

Guest mary030

Thanks again to all of your response. This forum is great and a great help.

Firstly how do I get in touch with gollywobbler - probably a silly question.

Myself and hubby have been together since 1995 and married since 1998. I cannot understand why an agent yesterday said that it would be easier for Ed to go on a skilled visa instead of a Spouse Visa?

Wait to hear again but is looking more hopeful and we have decided we are going to do it ourselves. I also went onto the web and downloaded all the booklet and have began reading it and filling in the application form.

Thanks

Mary

P.S. April you must be soooo excited about going to Oz. Which part are you going to?

:wubclub:

Guest mary030

Hi April

At what stage did you have your medicals and police checks carried out.

Do the Embassy arrange them or did you arrange them yourselves?

Mary

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Mary

I normally stay out of Spouse visa threads because April and so many other members of PiO know exactly what the drills are with them.

I think the Agent you consulted was trying to sell you the visa which s/he actually knows something about, rather than risk losing the chance to earn some fees! Registered Migration Agents are supposed to know about Australian Citizenship as well but the majority don't bother with Citizenship and claim ignorance of the rules because there is no money to be made out of Citizenship matters.

You are an Australian Citizen. There are not two classes of Australian Citizen. You are a Citizen by Descent via your mother, but that is irrelevant from the point of view of Hubby's Spouse visa application. The only thing DIAC needs from you for a Spouse visa for Hubby is proof that you are an Australian Citizen. Where you were born is irrelevant.

Ciara should be included in Hubby's Spouse visa application as his dependant. Once you (Ciara's Australian mother) have lived in Oz for 2 years it will become possible to apply for Citizenship by Descent for Ciara. Please see here:

Citizenship by descent

Hubby will be able to apply for Citizenship by Conferral in due course if he wishes. Please see here:

I have migrated to Australia

There is no reason why this should be complicated and there is no reason why you cannot do the whole thing by yourselves. The others have been giving you an accurate steer all along. The Agent sounds as if could do with a better sense of ethics and a lesser sense of avarice, frankly.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Mrs C
Hi April

At what stage did you have your medicals and police checks carried out.

Do the Embassy arrange them or did you arrange them yourselves?

Mary

Hello Again Mary,

Yes I am really excited and if you read some of my post's you will see that I have been counting the day's. 135 as of today by the way!

We frontloaded our meds and police checks and submitted everything all together. You will need to fill in a form 80, which some people miss and you need to write statements about your relationship. You will also need two English friends/family to write statements and two Aussie's to do the same.

Send as much info as you can, even if you think it is OTT.

I hope this helps you!

April

Guest mary030

Hi Gill (Gollywobbler) and everyone else.

We are absolutely delighted with your response. We are really excited now.

Can't thank you all enough with your responses.

I have been digging out all sorts of paperwork etc to back up our application. Will keep you all updated and let you know how we go.

Mary, Eddie & Ciara

:jiggy::v_SPIN::smile:

Big smiley faces now (and hopefully they stay like that!!)

Guest Paul n Ness

Hi Mary

I have aussie citizenship by descent but have never lived there. Citizenship gained 30+ yrs ago (dont tell anyone!) but only just had first passport. Like April said, this came 2 days after lodging appl.

OH has applied for spouse visa and we had a call from c/o to say if we could find 1 more piece of evidence (dated 5 yrs ago) they may well give Paul permanent residency straight off so dont think you will have any problem going down this route.

We too frontloaded - only do this if you intend to go to oz within 12 months from date of meds or police check - and are hoping to hear any day now.

GOOD LUCK & if you need any help feel free to send us a PM :wubclub:

Ness

Mrs C - why do you need two aussie statements and two english? I thought in the booklet it said 'at least two statements' but didnt think it said anything about two from each??

Confused now - we have one by an aussie living in Oz and one by an aussie living in the UK, and three others by UK citizens. Will that be ok? Though it would but now I'm doubting!

Guest gemmahey

Heya couldnt help reading your last reply

It says at least two, more the beta i suppose i

got:

My mother to write a statement (got it certified)

My partners aussie mother and brother and best mate from primary school to fill out form 888 (follow this link http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/888.pdf

And i got a couple of my mates to write a statement saying how long they have known me and that mine and my partners relationship is real.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest mary030
Hello Mary

I normally stay out of Spouse visa threads because April and so many other members of PiO know exactly what the drills are with them.

I think the Agent you consulted was trying to sell you the visa which s/he actually knows something about, rather than risk losing the chance to earn some fees! Registered Migration Agents are supposed to know about Australian Citizenship as well but the majority don't bother with Citizenship and claim ignorance of the rules because there is no money to be made out of Citizenship matters.

You are an Australian Citizen. There are not two classes of Australian Citizen. You are a Citizen by Descent via your mother, but that is irrelevant from the point of view of Hubby's Spouse visa application. The only thing DIAC needs from you for a Spouse visa for Hubby is proof that you are an Australian Citizen. Where you were born is irrelevant.

Ciara should be included in Hubby's Spouse visa application as his dependant. Once you (Ciara's Australian mother) have lived in Oz for 2 years it will become possible to apply for Citizenship by Descent for Ciara. Please see here:

Citizenship by descent

Hubby will be able to apply for Citizenship by Conferral in due course if he wishes. Please see here:

I have migrated to Australia

There is no reason why this should be complicated and there is no reason why you cannot do the whole thing by yourselves. The others have been giving you an accurate steer all along. The Agent sounds as if could do with a better sense of ethics and a lesser sense of avarice, frankly.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill

Just wanted to say thanks very much for the advice you gave us back in April. We went ahead doing the spouse visa by ourselves. We posted the application of on Tuesday 13th May and today I had a phone call from our case officer. The only thing that was wrong with our application for that one of Eddie's names (his third name in fact) was not typed on the Police Certificate. On all other documents he is only known by his first and second name. However because of his birth cert having all 3 names, then all these names need to appear on the Police Certificate. The case officer (a very nice man) said that if all the names had been on the Police Cert he would have granted the visa today. (Imagine 9 days after sending the application - I am amazed). All we have to do now is request again for the Police Certificate and then the visa is granted. We are shocked and proud that we managed to do it all ourselves.

I feel like emailing the migrant agent who didn't want us to go down the spouse visa route and let them know exactly how quick it has all happened and also the money that they missed out on. (We gained the extra money though hee hee!!)

Brisbane here we come (when we sell the house!!).

Good luck to everyone applying for visas.

Mary, Eddie & Ciara (and our babies) x

PS Sis I am still gonna miss you and really hope that one day you may all be there as well. Never say never xxxx

:yes:

Archived