457 to pr

tiba89

Hi all i am currently sponsored on a 457 visa and looking to get permanent residency. I would just like a little information regarding whether i could apply for PR myself or if i have to use my employer again to get it. I am a floor finisher with nearly ten years experience. I saw on the consolidated skills list that floor finisher is still on it. I would prefer to do it myself and not be stuck with the employer for sometime. My 457 visa only got granted on february this year and for only two years as my employer may have made a mistake when applying for it. I’m unsure whether i would need to stay with the employer for two years before i apply for PR as that would take me to the end of my visa. Thanks for your help.

You need either employer or state sponsorship in order to secure a permanent visa as a floor finisher. The only states currently sponsoring are Tasmania and South Australia. Do you currently live in either of those as it is very unlikely they will sponsor somebody with a job and a home in another state? You would also need a skills assessment of course.

If the state soonsorship is not possible, then yes you are relying upon the employer. Employers can sponsor for permanent visas at any time, there is no two year waiting period as many people think. The only two year consideration is that you don't need a skills assessment if you have been there for two years.

I live in Queensland so looks like state sponsorship is out the window. When you say you don't have to do a skills assessment of you have been here for two years do you mean two years on my current visa or two years in Australia working in my trade overall. I came over on a whv.

Applying for an employer sponsored 186 there are 2 streams most commonly followed - Temporary Resident Transition stream is only possible after working 2 years on a 457 for the employer who sponsors you, and Direct Entry stream can be applied for at any time. DE stream requires a skills assessment + 3 years relevant work experience, TRT doesn't require either of these additional steps.