English test

Austen73

Has anyone done the English test to gain access to Australia..... I am in a bind, to gain the points required I need to ace the test. Found out that aparently 80% of people doing the test are failing.... I want to go to Au to be a Chippy/supervisor not a English teacher. I have a diploma/advanced city & guilds carpentry & Joinary, NVQ level 3, SMSTS (site manager) etc and it looks like our dreams of going to live in Au are finished..

Can anyone advice please before I have yo tell the kids the bad news ☹️.

cheers

Austen.

Are we talking a IELTS/Pearson tests. I've got to do mine. Also a chippy by the way. A friend of mine who's no brain surgeon has just done his with Average 8.5. I've been panicking mine and which one to go for.

I have read so much on here about peeps doing 4 or 5 tests but some that breeze it.

good luck with it. I'm going to book one this weekend. Heard the IELTS can be formatted differently to Pearson and people find the latter more favourable.

Has anyone done the English test to gain access to Australia..... I am in a bind, to gain the points required I need to ace the test. Found out that aparently 80% of people doing the test are failing.... I want to go to Au to be a Chippy/supervisor not a English teacher. I have a diploma/advanced city & guilds carpentry & Joinary, NVQ level 3, SMSTS (site manager) etc and it looks like our dreams of going to live in Au are finished..

cheers

Austen.

I have no idea if your 80% figure is correct or not, but remember that this test is mainly taken by non native English speakers, usually for access to study courses. Native English speakers taking it for points on the Australian visa system will very much be in a minority.

For a literate native English speaker, this test should not present too much difficulty and you should also remember that the ones that are vocal on websites like this are the ones that have had trouble. The majority that have no trouble will not start a thread declaring that IELTS is easy peasy.

Before you throw in the towel, why don't you just have a look at some practice tests, buy a book and you might be pleasantly surprised or you might feel find you want to practice a couple of things first.

To your question has anyone done it, yes loads of people have done it, probably everyone that has migrated on a skills visa for the last few years. I have also personally done it and I thought it was the simplest test I have ever taken in my life ... definitely not something you should be giving up because of.

Edited by Bungo

cheers

Austen.

Hi Austen,

As I was going the accountant route I needed to get 20 points (there was a 70 point minimum when I applied and still is).

I wanted to make sure that I got those points, and I did a quick check and seems a lot of native speakers fail by not preparing, and so got a few books and did the trial tests, and also took a few study days. Well worth it, got the 20 points and got my visa.

If you want Australia and you need the points then it's definitely worth taking the time to study and get the points.

Good luck

Ferrets

Hi Austen,

As I was going the accountant route I needed to get 20 points (there was a 70 point minimum when I applied and still is).

I wanted to make sure that I got those points, and I did a quick check and seems a lot of native speakers fail by not preparing, and so got a few books and did the trial tests, and also took a few study days. Well worth it, got the 20 points and got my visa.

If you want Australia and you need the points then it's definitely worth taking the time to study and get the points.

Good luck

Ferrets

Where did you find statistics on native speakers failing IELTS?

What are you considering a fail anyway? As there are only scores not pass or fail, are you thinking a below 8 is fail?

Hi Bingo,

No specific stats just anecdotal views picked up from the site here and also. The IELTS staff when collecting my certificate. It seems that many underestimate how hard an exam can be, and it is the specific style of the IELTS test that catches them out.

For native speakers there is no "fail' as such, if you have a UK passport you don't need it, unless you need the points.

Personally I needed 20 points so for me anything less than 8 in all sections would have been a fail.

Thanks Ferrets,

any advice on what study books I could get or web pages.

Cheers

Austen.

I registered with the British council and got access to example tests online with that.

For books I had the Kaplan one but wouldn't recommend. Search IELTS on Amazon and I think the Cambridge material is recommended.

Cheers

Ferrets

This is what I was told as well. I need the points because of my age (42). I would also need to get 20 points for max marks/points. I get max points for work/qualifications etc but fall short of the 60 points needed for a visa, hence the Englidh test.