dental care

Guest Working to fish

Guest Working to fish

Hi guys

Can anyone enlighten me on dental care in oz? Can this be done on your medical care insurance that you pay for or is it all private care?

After speaking to someone we know in oz they have paid an arm and a leg for their 14 year old daughter to have braces. Our daughter went to the dentist today for an assessment for having a brace, and unfortunately the waiting list is 8 months (dentist said this was good, normally 18 months). The thing is we're quite sure we'll be in oz before then so it looks like my speed boat is on hold. Any advice appreciated.

eddie :arghh::arghh:

by the way when i went to school we used to take the mickey out of the unfortunate kids who had braces yet it seems the cool thing to have a brace these days, or am i just a miserable old fart?

:nah:

Hiya ,dentistry isnt covered by medicare meaning you have to cough up,its not cheap by any means so be prepared.Some private health insurance includes dentistry but you dont get all your money back ,infact i thought it was rubbish the amount you got back but i guess anythings better than nothing.Id push to get your daughter sorted in the uk,have you explained your plans to the dentist?have a look at Ali's thread about her daughter getting a brace,,mortgage springs to mind,lol!!

Cal x

It's true, dental care can be hideously expensive.

I know someone who got their dentist to bill them so that she could claim the maximum off her insurance, over a couple of years. You know...$800 at the end of one claim period and the same at the start of the next.

When you take out dental insurance for braces etc, you cannot claim for the first year (bearing in mind I don't really know what I'm talking about!:wub:), but you decide what level of cover you want to pay for ie. how much you want to be able to claim back. It also used to be that for us coming over, you are able to go into the scheme as a younger person (we pay as 30 years old but are...ooh, heaps older than that!) and thus pay lower premiums.

Also, for the kids, if you can use the school dentist for check ups and work such as fillings, replacement teeth when your child has knocked them out :swoon:etc, there is no charge. Or there didn't used to be, and I don't believe that's changed.

I can't remember if you have to pay in the UK for braces etc, but if you do, could you not just put the money to one side and use it here? It'd be 'worth' more too...

LC

PS. Yes, braces seem to be way cool nowadays...go figure!:goofy:

PPS. I'm in SA, don't know if it's different anywhere else.

Hi Eddie

We were in exactly the same psoition as you. My son (aged 12) has waited over 18 months to go for a fitting for his brace but when we got there the dentist said that as we were emigrating within the next few months she recommend not starting the treatmant as the braces may not be the same in Oz as in the uk and the maintenance treatment would possibly be different. We were pretty gutted actually as we hoped that we'd be able to start treatment here and continue it in the UK. I guess we are going to have to put away a few thousand quid to cover the costs in Oz! Either that or son and heir will have to put up with a crooked smile-lol

Mandy x

Guest Scarletfever

by the way when i went to school we used to take the mickey out of the unfortunate kids who had braces yet it seems the cool thing to have a brace these days, or am i just a miserable old fart?

:nah:

Yep........you're a miserable old Fart!!! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

HI guys thanks for your replies

no speed boat for me then ,bugger :daydreaming:

eddie,tina

No Eddie, none of this 7_3_109.gif, more like this 36_14_11.gif

Oh well, never mind it is for Chelsea

KP Nuts

Guest Scarletfever
Thanks guys so when were in oz ,please let me av a go in your speed boats.:realmad:

eddie

Hiya Mate.. heres a pic of my boat.....Hays wanted to be my friend after she saw it!!!

1_d.jpg

Archived