Transferring from 487 to a 187

loubylou1504

I have been working on a 457 visa since June 2012 and i was left my old job in August this year. My new employers want me to go on a regional visa 187. I then got informed my 487 is still in place when my 187 is getting processed. The company i am going to be working gfor cant take on the 487 visa as they dont have the job title available for the 457. I am in the process of cancelling my 487 to go on a Bridging Visa E. Plus the company are desperate for me to start asap. Plus im in financial hardship difficulty. I need to apply for a hardship visa too allow me to work whilst waiting for my 187 to come through. Anyone know the length of time it takes to come through.

My Rcb application has been lodged on 6th November plus nomination and visa too. How long does it take for a medical request to come through? Plus the company have pushed for an answer to come through asap.

Now the waiting game begins

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Personally, I'd wait out the 187 rather than cancel your 457. If you go on a BVE there's no guarantee the work rights would be granted, you have no visa to get you back into Australia if you needed to travel overseas, and the 4-year clock towards citizenship starts over.

If your employer can sponsor a 187, I'm not sure why they don't then have a position eligible for the 457 (but I don't have experience with 187 visas so not sure exactly how they work with the DIBP occupation lists).

What visa are you on 457 of 487.... As you have mentioned both visas.

cancelling your visa for bridging visa e is a very bad idea. What will happen if the nomination is refused, or visa refused you will have to leave in 28 days. If the job is available for 187 get them to nominate for 457 and lodge new 457 application and wait out the 187.

Get professional advic as you are going to dig yourself in to a hole.

Im on a 457 with working rights for this visa. However i was classed as a centre manager on this visa. My new job title is Group Leader and this is not available on the 457. The new company dont have the working rights for me to take on the new role as its not same role as my old position. The company I am going to work for need me to start as soon as possible and dont know if they can hold the job for 6 months till the 187 visa is approved. Ideally I wanted to wait but I dont think the company can. I have spoken to a migration agent about this The nomination has gone in for a Child Care Group leader position .

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Ah ok, that makes sense. Unfortunately it means you take a big gamble and if it goes pear-shaped you're left with 28 days to pack up and leave the country. I'd suggest before you take the course you propose, that you get independent advice from a migration agent (not the one your company is using) to see what other options may be available. Giving up 3 years of residency and then going onto a BVE is something I'd only consider as a last resort after exhausting all other options. Even a WHV (if you're under 31 and haven't already used it) would be a better approach IMO.

This is the only option the company won't wait and I have been using an outside migration agent too. For this process. We are running out of options.

Unfortunately immigration take the stance of, if the employer won't wait for you, and can find someone else to fill the position, then they don't actually NEED you. Part of the 187 visa is that they can't find anyone else to fill the position, so saying they won't wait pretty much is saying that isn't true.