Return Resident Visa Question

edinburghgirlinoz

Im not sure if you can apply once expired.Ive always renewed mine beforehand.I tried to get a 5 yr RRV back in Jan this year,and they only offered me a one year RRV.I have substantial ties in Australia too.If you go onto the Immi site,there is a local London number you can ring.

It's because you have substantial ties in Australia that you were able to get a one year RRV, To get a 5 year RRV you must have spent 2 out of the last 5 years in Australia.

Well I had renewed my 5yr RRV 3 times since being in the UK,and definitely haven't spent anything like 2 yrs in Australia during that time.Only been back to Oz for visits.

That's interesting. Perhaps the rules used to be different. It's certainly my reading of the rules shown on the Immi site that only those who've spent 2 out of the past 5 years in Australia can get a 5 year RRV:-

If you have lived in Australia for at least two years of the past five years and are granted a subclass 155 Resident Return visa it will have a five year travel facility from date of grant.

If you are granted a subclass 155 Resident Return visa on the basis of your substantial ties of benefit to Australia, then your travel facility will be for a year from the date of the grant.

If you are granted a Subclass 155 Resident Return visa because you are a family member of a person who holds a subclass 155, or who has also applied for Resident Return visa and satisfies criteria for grant, then your travel facility will be for either a year or less than a year from date of grant.

If you are granted a subclass 157 visa the travel facility will be for three months from date of grant.

That's interesting. Perhaps the rules used to be different. It's certainly my reading of the rules shown on the Immi site that only those who've spent 2 out of the past 5 years in Australia can get a 5 year RRV:-

If you have lived in Australia for at least two years of the past five years and are granted a subclass 155 Resident Return visa it will have a five year travel facility from date of grant.

If you are granted a subclass 155 Resident Return visa on the basis of your substantial ties of benefit to Australia, then your travel facility will be for a year from the date of the grant.

If you are granted a Subclass 155 Resident Return visa because you are a family member of a person who holds a subclass 155, or who has also applied for Resident Return visa and satisfies criteria for grant, then your travel facility will be for either a year or less than a year from date of grant.

If you are granted a subclass 157 visa the travel facility will be for three months from date of grant.

There were changes to the RRV, maybe 3-4 years ago, before that there was more discretion allowed on the 5 year one.