189 or 457...

Hi there,

I'm looking to go traveling very soon to SE Asia, i wanted to move to Aus after 12 months or so traveling, my plan was to get the independent skilled visa application underway before i go, i was hoping to do IELTS first and then be able to manage the process while away. The problem is my trade requires a practical exam / interview (mechanical fitter) and this would be in 3 months time after the skills review so i'd have to come home for this! not ideal.

The sponsored visa would suit me but i'm just worried it will be difficult to find employers willing to sponsor me, do you guys think not having the right to work in Aus is much of a hindrance to getting work?

Cheers

Not having the right to workbook Australia will be a huge hinderance to getting work. Generally.

But it does vary by occupation, maybe you should test the water with a few employers and if it doesn't look promising, get the skills assessment before you set off for Asia.

Since a 457 visa is only temporary and requires you to continue working for the nominating employer, the 189 is a far better visa option. And finding a nominating sponsor can be very difficult. You'd be far better off going down the 189 path, even if it did mean a return trip home for a skills test.