IELTS general or academic for recruitment consultant, Visa 190 to Adelaide?

NGUYEN

Hi everyone,

I'm very new; so will need lots of advice.

I'm planning to apply for a visa 190 as a recruitment consultant to migrate to Adelaide.

I'm wondering whether IELTS general or academic is required.

I've looked at this link https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/SNOL_data and couldn't find the answer.

I'll need to book for the test soon.

Thank you all and look forward to your advise.

Nguyen

From what i see the SNOL (https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/SNOL_data) directs you to this page https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/node/104. Read through section 9, if you are from one of the countries that gets you the a level 6 IELTS automatically (GB, Ireland etc), you may not need it but you don't get any points for skillselect, you'd need to take IELTS and get 7 or above. Whether you take academic or general I'm not sure, general is slightly easier apparently (must be I got 8!!!)

I believe it depends on your profession so for me as a nurse I had to academic, as do some other professions, if its for a skills assessment it would be specified there, if its just for points or to prove English ability then Im sure the general version is fine

Hi there

You need to do the general one! The examiner told me both academic and general are same in terms of difficulty! If you need to do it the practice!! It really helps, check out my ielts thread as there is lots of good advice on there from those who have sat the exam! I did mine recently (results Friday) so just ask if you need any info!

Kez

From what i see the SNOL (https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/SNOL_data) directs you to this page https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/node/104. Read through section 9, if you are from one of the countries that gets you the a level 6 IELTS automatically (GB, Ireland etc), you may not need it but you don't get any points for skillselect, you'd need to take IELTS and get 7 or above. Whether you take academic or general I'm not sure, general is slightly easier apparently (must be I got 8!!!)

Hi,

Thanks all very much for your replies.

I've seen the information in the link provided. I'm from Vietnam; so I'll need at least 6.0 in each band to apply for a 190 visa to SA. They accept both academic and general. But I guess I'll take the general because it's easier :)

I'll definitely look at previous threads related to IELTS.

Thanks all again.

Nguyen

Hello everyone!

Well, it's my first post on here EVER!

Just wondering if anyone has any advice I can give to my husband? He has his IELTS in Sheffield on the 16th but is soooo desperately worried about the written part of his exam (confident on every other element). Our agent has advised he needs to get 8's in every section to qualify for state sponsored. He's doing really well with his practice letters etc, but seems to be getting smothered with all the advice and examples online, many of which aren't in / from the UK etc so have done the test academically so he is sometimes overwhelmed by the content of some of the examples.

Hes an intelligent guy but just seems to be getting in such a state. Any tips or recent example questions would be welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Hi, I've sat the test 1 week ago, General Training, an for written part the topics were: Write a letter to a friend about a movie, and tell why he must see it, and the essay - argue about why some people prefer to stay in the same job for life, and others will change it frequently (these are not the exact titles for the topics, but close enough). I do not think an native English speaker would have trouble with any of these.

My only advice - take some practice tests, to feel what a 150 words and 250 words look like.

Edited by Alnaibii

Hello everyone!

Well, it's my first post on here EVER!

Just wondering if anyone has any advice I can give to my husband? He has his IELTS in Sheffield on the 16th but is soooo desperately worried about the written part of his exam (confident on every other element). Our agent has advised he needs to get 8's in every section to qualify for state sponsored. He's doing really well with his practice letters etc, but seems to be getting smothered with all the advice and examples online, many of which aren't in / from the UK etc so have done the test academically so he is sometimes overwhelmed by the content of some of the examples.

Hes an intelligent guy but just seems to be getting in such a state. Any tips or recent example questions would be welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Barnsleylass

The wirtten test is split into two. Task 1 for the general exam is a letter. It tells you what 3 areas you need to cover so its not hard at all as long as you cover those 3 points asked for he should be okay. I had to write a letter to an english speaking friend to tell her about a new film coming out about my country, I had to state what the film was about, why she would find it interesting and arrangements to see the film.

Task 2 was an essay. When you writes essays its good to strucure them as follows:

First paragraph is your introdcution, you are basically paraphrasing the question and telling the reader what you will be discussing. Para 2 and maybe 3 will be the things you said you would talk about , so for example if they said discuss the postives and negatives, then split this into two papragraphs. The final paragraph is your summary.

I had to write about..some people stay in the same type of role all their working lives others like to change roles..Please dicuss both sides.

If you type into google IELTS wiring task 2 topics you will see a whole range of things that may come up. There is a really good website with practive tests on it (see my other thread on IELTS)

I would also suggest really practicing the reading as without that I would have struggled with the format expected etc (results Friday fingers crossed Ive passed)

Hi Kezzles

Thanks for your reply. He's been on the IELTs official page and has been revising and practicing for ages in the elements of skim reading, listening etc, speaking and looking at the structure of the test papers so its familiar on the big day. His massive focus has been of the first and second part of the written test. He's read so much 'bumf' on the internet that I reckon he's getting bogged down with what is actually an accurate band 8 example and what isn't.

It doesn't help that he's nervous because there is so much pressure on him to be successful as if he doesn't pass it with an 8 in all areas, we don't have enough points to get the SS 190 visa and he will have to wait another month for another test which is difficult when he has been guaranteed a fantastic job when he gets there (we wont take the risk of a 457 visa for obvious reasons with 3 kiddies in tow!) We could go for the 187 but from what our agent advises, it can take even longer.

Guess the torture awaiting results - like you're having, will be the worst part! Let me know how you get on and I'll keep my fingers x'd for you!!!

x

Hi Kezzles

Thanks for your reply. He's been on the IELTs official page and has been revising and practicing for ages in the elements of skim reading, listening etc, speaking and looking at the structure of the test papers so its familiar on the big day. His massive focus has been of the first and second part of the written test. He's read so much 'bumf' on the internet that I reckon he's getting bogged down with what is actually an accurate band 8 example and what isn't.

It doesn't help that he's nervous because there is so much pressure on him to be successful as if he doesn't pass it with an 8 in all areas, we don't have enough points to get the SS 190 visa and he will have to wait another month for another test which is difficult when he has been guaranteed a fantastic job when he gets there (we wont take the risk of a 457 visa for obvious reasons with 3 kiddies in tow!) We could go for the 187 but from what our agent advises, it can take even longer.

Guess the torture awaiting results - like you're having, will be the worst part! Let me know how you get on and I'll keep my fingers x'd for you!!!

x

Hello,

Tell him not to worry and relax. For the letter don't be afraid to let your imagination run a bit, the contents are not so important its the structure, grammar etc, try to gauge the tone needed from the question, and don't forget to use the right salutations.

For the essay, lots seem to be discussion type q's. Draw up a table for and against or advantages and disadvantages for said argument, then spend a minute or two brain storming. Write your essay accordingly, don't forget the basics have a clear start middle and end, make extensive use of linking phrases, plenty on the web such as here http://mrhoyestokwebsite.com/Essays/Hints%20&%20Tips/Linking%20Phrases.htm

Good luck!

YEYYYY!

Thats fantastic!! So come on, spill the beans lol!! We need inside info!!

Really pleased for you hun :) how long was the torturous wait for results?

OH is doing well, we've been away for the weekend and he brought a dictionary to read!!!! He seems much more confident now which is fantastic, he just needs to carry his enthusiasm to the test this coming Saturday....