IELTS Test & Degree

Hallfamily

My OH sat his Ielts test on Saturday in Liverpool, and was told by one of the panel that she was sure that he didn't need to do this test as he has a Masters Degree, much to his surprise he knew nothing of this and finished the test as he had already paid for it. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi,

I don't think that is the case even if one has a Ph.D.

To score additional points, the points test needs IELTS or, according to a recent post I read, OET.

PS: Is the Master's degree in English? I am not sure if that will make some difference.

Hi,

To score additional points, the points test needs IELTS or, according to a recent post I read, OET.

PS: Is the Master's degree in English? I am not sure if that will make some difference.

Yes the degree was in English. She mention he should have spoken to the Australian consulate, but I guess it was too late when he was already their and had done half his test in the morning. I suppose I just wanted to find out in case others had Master degrees in english and did not have to take the test. All I can say to anyone else with degrees to speak to the Australian consulate before applying for the Ielts test.

I don't think it makes a difference what education you have, I also have a masters degree from a UK universitiy and still took IELTs. If you need to get the additional points for a Visa you need to take the IELTS and achieve atleast 7 in all modules or 8 in all modules even more point, sorry not sure actual value of points. If you don't need the additional points and you have a british passport then you do not need the IELTs.

There have been teachers and graduates on here who have still had to take the IELTS test. If you are claiming the points for the visa, your OH will need to take test. However, some people who do not need the extra points still need to sit the IELTS exams as part of their skills assessment. Prob best to speak to DIAC for their clarification. Wishing your OH luck on his results.

Guest SupportPants
Hi,

I had to sit the IELTs and I have an MA in English. I don't see why the panel would have anything to do with DIAC. There are lots of irrationalities in the visa process - just go with them.

Archived