Trivial question about buggies

Guest CaptainCook

Guest CaptainCook

Hi

I am about to buy a(nother) new buggy to use here for a bit and then take to Oz and the one I'm thinking of comes various bright colours and black. I was going to go for black as it's probably most hard wearing but am wondering if black is a no go colour in hot countries as it attracts the heat? Thinking back to our reccie I remember seeing lots of bright Phil n Teds, and also lots of Mountain Buggies which do come in mostly dark colours.

See I told you it was trivial, but really don't want to make rookie mistake and condem baby to sitting in a sweaty hot buggy if it can be avoided.

Thanks all buggy addicts in advance.

Emma

Guest The McT's

I wouldn't worry too much about colour, just make sure you have a model which comes with a full uv sun cover, that goes on & comes off easily - velcro for pref & one which has a raincover which packs up small so you can carry it at all times. Forget any kind of parasol affair, they were pretty but rubbish in the English sun-never mind out here.

Also make sure the UV cover actually covers the child's ankles & feet, a lot stop short.

As pavements in the cities tend to be high from the road due to storm drains you find yourself altering levels a lot so go for light & max manouverbility.

Also there are lots of places where there are no footways on the streets around where I live so I use my 3wheeler a lot out here in the sticks- mothercare urban range.

Its not like the UK where anti- discrimination action for disabled people has meant that all new & public buildings have to provide a level access - NSW (can't speak for other states) is light years behind - bus sevices that have a disabled symbol reg. turn up with a stepped entry!! Even new buildings - incl govt & public services are hard to get into with a push-chair, my local library which does children's activities & a toddler toy library doesn't have a baby-change - very typical.

Beware any train station. do a reccie if you can. Central stn in Syd is a nightmare with a stroller.

On the plus side generally people are very friendly & ready to help, in rest/cafes especially.

I bought a McClaren stroller out here at toys r us because it comes with a shoulder strap - very light & handy for when its actually easier to carry or toddle the little one (s) up & down stairs with a backpack & a stroller over your shoulder rather than go on a trek to the nearest (working) lift. & a good handle for stashing it on a train/ bus/ car boot when holding onto the little ones with your other spare hands.

Forget the posh Stokke pushchair that claims to do steps- very hard to handle according to my friend who got rid of hers once she realised how heavy to handle it was, & how bumpy it was for the child.

Happy buying!

(PS if its coming over from the UK make sure the wheels are spotless -AQIS opened all of our packages of wheeled items - bikes & toys & pushchair to check for dirt! when the stuff was in quarantine)

i brought a cheap stroller chico.. raincover and sun canopy , and brought it on the plane with me, after having heavey top of the range jobbie , its been fine , were in the car more here anyway, depends on age of your little one i think baby stuff here is well cheaper than uk apart from clothes.

Guest Toorak Trev

The new version of the mountain buggy urban elite is well worth the money. Spend the extra on the sun shields (ie keeps the flies and bugs out but keeps a nice breeze through).

The company is also based in NZ (so you can source there up to 30% cheaper than in Oz)

Guest tlander56
The new version of the mountain buggy urban elite is well worth the money. Spend the extra on the sun shields (ie keeps the flies and bugs out but keeps a nice breeze through).

The company is also based in NZ (so you can source there up to 30% cheaper than in Oz)

Hi guys,

I have a Bugaboo bee! Great to manouvre...great UV cover and rainhood.

Tanya

Guest Lou76

I brought my Maclaren techno over from England. You need something light and manoeuverable as it is too hot to lug a full on pram round I think! If you are planning on doing lots of power walking etc as is popular over in Perth at least one of the 3 wheeler jogger styles would be great. Also echo the importance of full uv shade.

One other tip - if there is room, pack cartons of nappies in your container if your little one still needs them, they are about 50% more expensive here (and no pampers either)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CaptainCook

Thanks for the tip about nappies, will stock up on lots especially as Pampers have just started doing a budget range over here.

Am ashamed to say I own several of the buggies mentioned, Phil n Teds double and a Mountain buggy which I love but is absolutely knackered and the Maclaren Volo. However did manage to justify buying another one (to myself not husband!) which folds up smaller and is really manouverable, the baby jogger city mini, it's like a 3 wheeler but has amazing one handed folding and has a huge hood which should be good for keeping off the sun, does lie flat too as maclarens only suitable after 6 months. And it featured on lots of the Australian baby equipment sites so must be popular over there too and suited to the climate, here's hoping. It's defo worth a look if you are thinking of getting a new buggy.

Dark colour heat up faster, but they also cool down faster too; more efficient temperature transfer.

I've just got a Steelcraft Strider DLX; it's one of the ones where the baby seat coverts to a carrier and clips straight into a permanantly mounted base in the car, so you never have to wake a sleeping skin-covered lung when you transfer them between the car and the stroller.

Archived