Guest craigkimbo

Guest The Joker

This I would like to know too. I know a great little place just south of Brisbane (just off the Pacific Motorway just south of Logan) that does English food and stocks black pudding but now live up on the Sunny Coast. So a more local source for that Sunday morning fry-up with all the trimmings is needed. Damn, you've got me drooling now and craving a fry-up with all the trimmings.

This I would like to know too. I know a great little place just south of Brisbane (just off the Pacific Motorway just south of Logan) that does English food and stocks black pudding but now live up on the Sunny Coast. So a more local source for that Sunday morning fry-up with all the trimmings is needed. Damn, you've got me drooling now and craving a fry-up with all the trimmings.

You mean Syd's Butchers i think.

His black puddings are horrible, they stink of xmas cake (presume cinnamon) when you cook them,definately nothing like the ones up north in the UK,lol. Most of the other stuff they sell Potato cakes, Pies, Scotch Pies etc are gorgeous but his BPs leave much to be desired,lol.

Cal x

Guest The Joker

I think the problem is that the traditional UK black pudding recipe is not legal here in Oz. Some health and safety reason about congealed blood. So they have to try and recreate a black pudding using legal ingredients. Safe to say they will never taste like real BP.

Guest Guest31881

I have tried several since being here, now given up on trying to get an authentic taste, as The Joker said, I think its something to do with the law and what they are allowed to use. I have managed a couple of pork pies, but cant get those where I live now.

I think the problem is that the traditional UK black pudding recipe is not legal here in Oz. Some health and safety reason about congealed blood. So they have to try and recreate a black pudding using legal ingredients. Safe to say they will never taste like real BP.

:wideeyed:Well thats it im off back to blighty!! You have really burst my bubble now,, how can i dream of finding a Bury Black Pud now?:cry: lol

Cal x

Guest guest36187

Best curries are home made (by Mark - not that I am biased!) or an an Indian near us called `The Indus`. Perfection!

I only liked Indian since moving here!!!

Guest The Joker

So far we have found one Indian restaurant that we really like (well, two restaurants but they are owned and run by the same person). The Little Indian Palace in Cleveland and Redland Bay. We have been told of one up here in Alexandra Headlands but we haven't tried it yet. The Bombay Bliss is passable. But the true, authentic English Balti run by some Brummies in Birkdale - well people rave about it but the three times I have been I have been hugely dissappointed and didn't enjoy it.

The other thing I miss (and have had loads in the two trips back to England that I have done in 8 years) is Scampi. Don't know why but that is something I miss and seek out when I go back. First meal when I land and a double portion as the last meal when I leave. However, I HAVE found somewhere in Queensland that does it - Chumley Warners in Birkdale - a couple of shops up from the Balti place. Pukker English fish and chips (and Pukka Pies and proper pork sausages in batter, and batter pieces and mushy peas, cod in proper batter). I highly recommend a visit if you are ever in the vicinity.

You could always try these Rob the Butcher in Dandenong: Order Page

I've only ever collected meats from him at the butchers but it looks like he mails out - don't know anything about delivery but it might be worth emailing and checking out. His gammon's lovely when I cook it right, his ordinary pork pies aren't much different from those I can now get at Woolworths though he does do other ingredients.

Happy shopping.

Guest Guest16631

I wondered if any one has tried making the things they miss, home made pork pies are nice it is the fresh hot water crust pastry that makes it different also useing good pork,bake well tart is quite easy.any other tried and tested home goodies?:smile:

Guest The Joker

Roast beef, crispy roast spuds, yorskshire puddings - that's always a favourite in our house. Had a load of Aussies round one day who had never had yorkshire puds before, so I made an extra large batch and they scoffed the lot.

Proper sherry trifle (the Aussies loved that as well, greedy gits).

:wideeyed:Well thats it im off back to blighty!! You have really burst my bubble now,, how can i dream of finding a Bury Black Pud now?:cry: lol

Cal x

I think a little tripette to Bury Market to get me a black pudding is in order on Friday now you lot have got me wanting one! Shall I be cruel and upload you a piccy?:wink: Val

I think a little tripette to Bury Market to get me a black pudding is in order on Friday now you lot have got me wanting one! Shall I be cruel and upload you a piccy?:wink: Val

LOL, Cruel?????? More like torture! lol

If you do go ,just buy an extra one and eat it for me,lol

Cal x

Guest The Joker

Can you make it video then, so we can see and hear you enjoying every bite and chew?

Damn, the drool on my keyboard isssmakkkinngtheekkkeyysallllstiiiiicccckkkyyyy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest merth111

I don't think there's too many butchers in sydney. Most butchers either seem to try and sell meat cheaper than coles/woolworths or sell "uber wanky" stuff, which is good but very expensive.

LOL, Cruel?????? More like torture! lol

If you do go ,just buy an extra one and eat it for me,lol

Cal x

Hi Cal, I know this thread was started a few weeks ago and to be honest I`d forgotten about it. But guess what?......................I met up with an old school friend last week and her boyfriend is the bloke who makes all the black puddings for Chadwicks on the market! How bizarre is that!

I must get her to ask him to look into exporting to Aus although I suspect someone has already tried and failed!

cheers! Val x:wub:

Hi Cal, I know this thread was started a few weeks ago and to be honest I`d forgotten about it. But guess what?......................I met up with an old school friend last week and her boyfriend is the bloke who makes all the black puddings for Chadwicks on the market! How bizarre is that!

I must get her to ask him to look into exporting to Aus although I suspect someone has already tried and failed!

cheers! Val x:wub:

Please convince them to migrate to QLD,,lol, i will give as much free advice as they need,,lol

I bet her boyfriend knows my brother ,he runs Brandwoods in the meat and fish hall and has been there for yearssssssssssssssss,, there isnt many lads on the market he doesnt know,lol

Cal x

Hi, He doesnt work on the market he owns the factory where they are made so I doubt he will know people who work there but I shall ask next time I see her. I could get him to teach me the recipe so I could make them when I get there eh? xx

Archived