Temporary visa no medicare - what does this mean??

mccrone

Hi we are applying for the temporary business visa 163 which states we are not entitled to medicare until we apply for permanent visa after 4 years.

What would this cost us in terms of doctor visits and precriptions etc? My husband has tablets for high blood pressure and my daughter has just been diagnosed with coeliac disease so would need possible 6 monthly blood tests.

As we are from Uk there is some recipricoal agreement with medicare but I don't really understand what this means.

Any ideas?? Thank you!!

Hi we are applying for the temporary business visa 163 which states we are not entitled to medicare until we apply for permanent visa after 4 years.

What would this cost us in terms of doctor visits and precriptions etc? My husband has tablets for high blood pressure and my daughter has just been diagnosed with coeliac disease so would need possible 6 monthly blood tests.

As we are from Uk there is some recipricoal agreement with medicare but I don't really understand what this means.

Any ideas?? Thank you!!

Hi there

we are on a 457 temp long stay business visa and we can get medicare as you rightly said there is a recipricol agreement and we get approx 50% back what we have paid for scans ( ive had a few since being here) but our doctors visits are free ( Bulk billing) which if poss wherever your moving to look out for a sign in the dr's window that says this. All we pay for is the prescriptions and its the actual cost of the items on the script you pay for and not like in the UK where you pay for the actaul presccription of £7 something.....so it does work out costly.

Im really not sure about your visa though but in time im sure someone on here will be able to help you more. Also we dont have private insurance ( we dont feel it necessary)

Good luck with the application.

Millers:arghh:

Edited by millers

If it stated on your visa that you can not get medicare then it means that you will not be able to claim back any percentage of the cost of Doctors visits.

There is a reciprocal agreement between the two countries for emergency medical care in hospitals ( free ), but not for regular visits to the Doctors.Not that many Doctors bulk bill these days ( in fact none do where I live ), so it has never been free but I do get a percentage back through medicare

Do keep the receipts for your blood tests etc though, because whilst you won't be able to claim back any money on medicare right now as your visa stipulates, you will once you have applied for permanent residence or other long stay visa and it can be backdated. That's what I did. I am not sure how much your prescriptions will work out at.