New Guy here

benc1

Hi All,

New to this site just after some tips and or any advice in general.

So after months of realising that I am not really doing anything with my life not having much fun and wanting an exciting new chapter in my life I'm going to Sydney start of December with my WHV. I will be going alone so feeling a little nervous at the moment as I don't know anyone out there at all. My Plan is probably the same as most people to go and work little stints in several cities.

Could anyone recommend any Hostels in Sydney? I have a few nights already booked up but would love you guys to give me your opinions on different places.

Yeah so if anyone is interested in a WHV buddy for December or if anyone has any tips/bits of advice anything would be much appreciated.

Thank you guys

Ben

I arrived in Sydney at the beginning of December, 1978, on my own, and feeling scared! I doubt if you will have any problems, given the huge numbers of backpackers and WHV people here. You've already booked up a hostel? Which one? It might be worth joining the YHA if you've not already done so, although there are plenty of private hostels.

The one I stayed at, and liked, was the YHA one at Central, on Pitt St. (There are two at Central, the other using old railway carriages as dorms, and another one in The Rocks. 'Bounce' on Chalmers Street is supposed to be good, though I've only been into reception to pick up a copy of one of the backpacker magazines., BBM I think. It's very conveniently located, just over the road from Central station.

Those few nights at the YHA was the first time I'd been in a hostel for decades, and I was nervous of sharing a room with strangers but it was OK. It is a good hostel and only four bunks to a room. I've stayed in pubs which have also been converted to hostels, though at the time I had the room to myself. Those pubs were in country towns, Yamba, Sawtell, and Eden, so I guess that is a tip, to look for rooms in pubs as well as hostels. Most pubs are called 'hotels' in NSW, and when I've ben on road trips, I used to mix it up between staying in motels - expensive but you get your own ensuite room - and pubs - where you get your own room, but usually have to share the bathrooms, but they are cheaper.

Get the train from the airport (International) to the City, unless there's a courtesy bus to your hostel? I don't know if any of them do that? If your hostel is near Central, get off there. You might have to change trains at Central, depending on where your hostel is? The Rocks YHA means Circular Quay station. and Kings Cross station for hostels there.

You won't have any problems and will probably make friends, whichever hostel you go to. Do your RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) course in case you want to do bar work. There always seem to be people on WHV working in pubs in Surry Hills where I live.

I saw a photo in the paper the other day of two young English girls - 18 yo - on their gap year and having fun at Bondi Beach. I was 24 when I came. I can't imagine doing it at 18! Come to think of it, I couldn't imagine doing it at 60!

Hi Mate,

I'm in the same position as you. Travelling solo and also a little nervous and will arrive in Sydney a few days before Christmas. I found it an absolute nightmare to find any accommodation that wasn't ridiculously overpriced due to Xmas and NYE, but I ended up getting an okay price to stay at Surfside Bondi Beach backpackers. Had to bite the bullet a bit with the price, but it was between Bondi or staying in Kings Cross and I heard from many people to avoid that area haha.

Have you booked anywhere up yet? And do you have much of a plan for after NYE or you just thinking of winging it? Be good to know as I literally don't really know what to do afterwards!

Cheers,

Liam

Could anyone recommend any Hostels in Sydney? I have a few nights already booked up but would love you guys to give me your opinions on different places.

Get on TripAdvisor and check out what they have to say. Since you may be stuck in a hostel for a long time, it's a good idea to look at ones which have smaller rooms (4-6 sharing) rather than big dorm rooms. Randwick/Coogee is a great area for WHV arrivals as it's near the beach, cheaper than Bondi and without the post-pub violence.

I'm going alone in January as well mate! No nerves about it so far, maybe closer to the time though!

My plan was to pretty much just wing it... Show up, book into a hostel and get talking to other travellers.

Hi mate!

What date in January you arriving? I'm booked into Bondi until the 3rd Jan. Seems a fair few people are going solo and winging it. Makes me feel a bit more relaxed about it all!

Hey Guys!

I did exactly the same 4 years ago and havent looked back! I stayed for a week in the City, then moved to Bondi Backpackers and ended up living there for 18months, haha! Best time of my life!

I work in the backpacker travel industry now and would love to help a fellow Pom out your travel arrangments. Its getting really busy for January and December now so mge me what you are planning asap.

L x