Money to enter Australia

1875HFC

I intend to travel to Australia on a WHV and live in Sydney in September/October 2013.

How much money will i need to have with me to allow me into the country? I heard it varies and depends on a case by case basis. If i have £3000 is this enough or do i need a credit card to back me up etc?

thanks

You are also supposed to have paid up Health Insurance on a WHV... IMO it is more important that you know that you will be OK with the funds you have as they don't really check. If you are coming from the UK or another reciprocating Country you can rock up to a Medicare Office with your Passport and get a number issued straight away for any Non Private Doctor/Hospital stuff that is bulk billed. This does not cover Ambulance though which is about $600 for a call out in NSW so be well aware of the cost. Sydney is also VERY expensive to live in... so is the rest of Australia these days.

I intend to travel to Australia on a WHV and live in Sydney in September/October 2013.

How much money will i need to have with me to allow me into the country? I heard it varies and depends on a case by case basis. If i have £3000 is this enough or do i need a credit card to back me up etc?

thanks

From what I have heard they only really show an interest in your finances if you are on a one-way ticket

I am going to try aim for £1,000 a month (maximum of £6,000 to cover my self for 6 months) and hope that I get a job before that haha

Although with a law degree and only really office experience i'm not sure how easy that will be for me!

They advise $5000, and im also thinking of £3000 to take with me which be $4230 at todays rough exchange rate. But i am going on the hope to get a job as soon as i can when get there. As would rather do my working to start with then add more money to spend the latter end of my working holiday when i plan do travel a bit more.

oh and do know of friends who went with £1500-2000 and were fine, but could of just been lucky lol!

Benvo

Edited by Benvo

thanks for the replies all sounds about similar to me! and im the same hoping to work as soon as i get to Australia so hoping finances will be ok! jaymeeo just finishing my law degree at the moment aswell, hopefully get a job in a cafe/bar/restaurant though!

Will already have a return flight booked so this should also help with getting into Australia

thanks for the replies all sounds about similar to me! and im the same hoping to work as soon as i get to Australia so hoping finances will be ok! jaymeeo just finishing my law degree at the moment aswell, hopefully get a job in a cafe/bar/restaurant though!

Will already have a return flight booked so this should also help with getting into Australia

Good to know someone with a similar background is going! how old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Also any idea where / when you are booking your flights? still trying to find the best deals!