where are all the fish

mylowe

Hi all

we decided it was time to out go and buy ourselves new rods and tackle and go fishing of the beach and jetties from werribee to williamstown. We have been out at dawn and dusk and though we have cought a few pinkies, flatheads,ozzie salmon all under legal size bar 2 pinkies. we are begining to think there aint any decent size fish on this side of melbourne.

Can anyone give me some tips on where to go fishing to catch somthing worth catching without the use of a boat

Guest AKA63029

Can't speak too much of Melbourne matey, as did very little fishing there, but others will give you some great advice.:yes:

If all else fails, move to FNQ, GREAT FISHING.:notworthy:

Cheers Tony.

Guest Guest66881

What i have found as with most shore fishing here in Australia, if you don't know the 'hot spots' you will not catch to much, unless you either buy a boat or hire one to go further out.

We are in Perth and all i catch is small stuff really, but i am thankful for that much at least.

Try your local tackle shops they will tell you the best baits at that time of year and what's hot and what's not, so to speak.

Tight lines and don't go kissing the catch...what ever happened to Rex Hunt?

Hi all

we decided it was time to out go and buy ourselves new rods and tackle and go fishing of the beach and jetties from werribee to williamstown. We have been out at dawn and dusk and though we have cought a few pinkies, flatheads,ozzie salmon all under legal size bar 2 pinkies. we are begining to think there aint any decent size fish on this side of melbourne.

Can anyone give me some tips on where to go fishing to catch somthing worth catching without the use of a boat

G'day mate, from now, through to late winter, the jewies (mulloway), should be appearing in PPB and I believe that the Warmies is one of the better land based places to target them. You need at least 25lb line and small livies. Jewies are generally timid when taking a bait so, softly, softly, catchee jewie.

Apart from there, I don't know of any places on the west side.

Cheers, Bobj.

Forgot to add, better fishing at night for jewies.

Guest AKA63029
Hi

My OH has been fishing in Werribee for weeks and caught nothing, he went down with the youngest and caught his first fish. Only small and had to put it back but he was pleased as punch.

Caroline

Nothing like catching the 'first' fish Caroline, (no matter the size) great times indeed, congratulations matey.:jiggy:

PS. Mine was a Tommy Ruff off Fremantle Mole, still burned into the memory.

Cheers Tony.

Guest AKA63029
I think he could have cracked open the champagne Tony he was that excited. It was an Australian Salmon.

Still a nice fish Caroline, onwards and upwards as they say, soon enough you will be catching with the best of them.:yes:

I think he could have cracked open the champagne Tony he was that excited. It was an Australian Salmon.

daniel cought an ozzy salmon at werribee and he had to throw it back to. The guy at the tackle shop told us to go where they are building the new wall at werribee south you will catch big flatheads and large ozzy salmon. The only problem is you have to climb over a 6ft fence so we gave it a miss lol

Guest AKA63029

I'm one of those fisherman Caroline that don't mind what they catch. I infuriate my mates when I go as they will often sit there for hours trying to catch the 'big one' whilst I'm off chasing Garfish or Herring, still get that 'buzz' (see kid on Xmas eve) no matter what I'm chasing.:yes:

Hi all

Another tip, mate: when chasing flatties, do so on an ebb tide near to weed beds if possible, A good rig, marble sized ball sinker about 30 cm above a 3/0 hook, smallish deadbait, or large prawn, cast out and slowly retrieve the bait. Flatties love to lie in wait for anything moving back to deeper water.

Cheers, Bobj.

My husband saw those people on the rocks climbing through the railings. He thought he might give it a try and I said no, knowing his luck he would be the one who would hurt himself or get arrested:laugh:. I got my licence at the weekend and tried fishing for the first time in my life. I didnt catch anything but I did really enjoy it and like you said Aka I would have been pleased with anything. The only thing I caught was seaweed and shells !!!!!!

For pier fishing get a couple of cans of fishy catfood, mix it up with some bread and stuff it in an old stocking or similar. Hang it over the side of the pier so it's about 1 metre down in the water. Give it a jiggle every now and then to disperse the berley a little. Then wait for fish to be attracted. I've had success with this method.. Fish an hour each side of a tide change. Hanging a berley bag overnight in your fishing spot can ensure there are fish around when you get there.

I went on the new wall at weribee chating to a guy he was saying a few weeks ago they were catching gummy sharks and large flatheads but nothing since. Wont be giving just putting them away for a whilepro;;y change my mind come next week lol

Archived