Snake attacks

Guest mutikonka

Guest mutikonka

Just thought I'd share this little story from a Townsville newspaper:

A LARGE deadly snake terrorised three people in

Garbutt last night before it was killed completely by chance by a passing semi-trailer.

Mark Archer-Truscott was helping his friend Janelle Brooks and her young daughter fix a sign on his property along Blakey's Crossing in Garbutt about 8pm when a large eastern brown snake came charging out of scrub, heading straight for the trio.

The snake, one of Australia's most deadly, measured about 2m long.

Mr Archer-Truscott, who had caught snakes several times, managed to grab the massive snake by the tail and flick it towards the road.

Much to the trio's surprise, the snake came back to attack them a second time.

"It just surged at us," Mr Archer-Truscott said.

"I've never seen anything like it in the five years I've lived here, and I've seen plenty of eastern browns."

Mr Archer-Truscott again grabbed the angry snake by the tail and flicked it away from Ms Brooks and her daughter, towards the road.

The snake looked like it was about to turn to charge again, however by chance, a passing semi-trailer crushed it under its tyres.

"It was just a freak chance that a truck was passing," Mr Archer-Truscott said.

"I'd hate to think what would happen if it hadn't have come past.

"I just couldn't believe it. It nearly gave me a heart attack.

"I've still got goosebumps."

Mr Archer-Truscott said he had been bitten by three common brown snakes in past 10 years.

Living on a property surrounded by swamp, he has had 15 puppies bitten by snakes.

"It's like a hammer hitting you," he said.

"Doctors have told me that if I was ever bitten again, the anti-venin might work against me.

"But if I was bitten by this thing, I reckon I'd be gone."

People are warned that venomous snakes are particularly active on hot summer nights.

"In the Bohle and Garbutt areas especially, this is where these guys gather," Mr Archer-Truscott said.

"They are chasing the frogs and the birds.

"They are out now and they are very aggressive.

"For an eastern brown to come and attack you twice, it is very uncommon."

snake-bite.jpg

Guest mutikonka

Seriously, as Skippy says in his post today, there really isn't any problem with creepy crawlies or snakes in Australia so long as you use common sense (ie not prodding spiders and snakes with sticks to see what they do!).

I just had to link to this one because it shows how nonchalant the bush Aussies are towards lethal snakes - picking it up by the tail, indeed - I would have run a mile in three minutes.

My mate, aussie born and bred rang me up to get me to remove a python out of his room... I'd only been here less than six months and I decided a new pommy immigrant rolling up to A&E with a snake bite (even non venomous) would not be a good look. :biglaugh:

I'd still be very very unlikely to pick one up... preferring the herding towards the door with a long stick method.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

My sister lives in Perth and she told me that her cats are apt to catch baby snakes and bring them into the house. I was appalled so I asked about this on another forum.

One of the men replied that in his experience, a stout piece of 2 X 4 does the trick. If you happen to have one handy and are strong enough to wield it effectively, that is....

Gill

Archived