Irish and health insurance....what to do??????????

Benmx

Can any Irish moving tell me what health insurance company they got cover with to get them over to Australia.

With VHI at present but their global insurance cover is VERY expensive so does not look to be an option!!!

Any suggestions???? :confused: Also what sort of cover do we have with Medicare when over there???

Can any Irish moving tell me what health insurance company they got cover with to get them over to Australia.

With VHI at present but their global insurance cover is VERY expensive so does not look to be an option!!!

Any suggestions???? :confused: Also what sort of cover do we have with Medicare when over there???

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/ireland-nz.jsp

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Ben,

We took out a basic policy with IMAN for $163 per mth for 2 adults and 2 kids to cover the visa application. Going to wait till I get there to look into changing policy as bit confused over the whole "Reciprocal Health Care Agreements with the governments of the Republic of Ireland and New Zealand".

:confused:

Not sure if its only on certain visa's (I'm going on a 457) or on PR only...totally confused!!

• 1 month later...
Guest Jadeanna

Hi There,

I am out here on a 457 visa and I do not have private health cover. I contacted Medicare and I am covered for the duration of my visa as I hold an Irish passport. I am pregnant and I am being treated in a public hospital no problem.

Here is the response I got from medicare when I enquired.

Your entitlement to The Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between Ireland and Australia is dependent on which part of Ireland you are from.

The RHCA between Australia and the Republic of Ireland provides access to the following for residents of the Republic of Ireland:

- services as a public patient in a public hospital (including out-patient services) of immediate medical necessity; and

- medicines available on prescription, which are subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme for immediately necessary treatment.

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/ireland-nz.jsp

The period of your entitlement is the duration of your stay in Australia.

Visitors under this RHCA will not be issued with Medicare cards (diplomats excepted). If treatment is required, the following documents should be provided at the public hospital where treatment is being sought:

- current Irish passport

- documentation confirming residency in the Republic of Ireland.

Irish diplomatic staff and members of their families are eligible for full Medicare benefits for the duration of their visit to Australia.

Visitors from Northern Ireland are entitled to a Medicare card and receive benefits for out-of-hospital services rendered to you from a Medicare eligible provider.

Please find below a link for further information on our website.

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/uk.jsp

If you have any questions you can call the Medicare public line on 132011.

I trust this information will be of assistance.

Archived