Can't afford to emigrate .......

hoons

Ok, so here's my situation.

I have been offered a job, and am being sponsored on a 457 visa. I suffer from Crohn's Disease and currently take Pentasa and Remicade. I believe that I will be liable for all of my medication costs. On the prices stated on the PBS, my Pentasa (mesalazine) will cost me approx $300 per month ($3600 per year), and the Remicade (Infliximab-450mg), which I have once every 8 weeks, will cost me $3,382 a pop (so $20,292 a year). I have to go into a treatment centre or hospital (as an outpatient) to receive the Remicade via IV infusion, so I presume there will be costs associated with this too?

Does anyone know if there is any kind of financial assistance whatsoever for someone in my situation (other than the $600 a year for meds offered as part of private cover)? Would I be expected to pay hospital fees for being treated as an outpatient - I literally go into hospotal, get hooked up to an IV drip, sit there for 2 hours, then go home.

Does anyone know if I can get the Pentasa shipped over from the UK? I have a prescription currently and pay £7.40 a month for this currently - slightly better than the $300 i think i will be charged in Oz.

And finally, has anyone been in a similar situation. It would be great to hear from you if so, and to hear any tips you may have.

Seriously worried I am not going to be able to fulfil my dream and emigrate to Oz at this rate!!

Hi, firstly I hope you can arrange something so you do not have to give up your dream.

In answer to your question i am not to sure.However i noticed on another post today there is a threshold on the actual amount you will pay for medication and due to the recipocal agreement would hope the same is applicable on a 457 visa.

I found the post whilst searching for an answer to a medical question for my youngest daughter. Hopefully somebody with alot more knowlage than me will be able to help. I will look for the post and if i can copy the link for the tread.

Mandy

Thanks frostie :smile:

Although I don't think that applies to a 457 Visa ... I'm pretty sure that I would be liable for all medical costs, except what was covered within private health insurance policy. I have tried to contact Medicare and ask them but it's akin to getting blood out of a stone !!

If you did get PR any treatement in hospital could be done free on Medicare. If you had a lowish income you would also recieve a healthcare card making prescription costs around $6, but again you would have to be on PR. You do get a minimal cover off Medicare on a 457 but im sorry i dont know the ins and outs of what covered in that.

I brought a fair few months worth of medication with me and as long as you have script in your name listing the medication there shouldnt be a problem. Im not sure how youd go importing it once your already here though...

Cal x

restless123 ... Not sure tbh, although i wasn't planning on going for permanent residency. If we want to stay after 4yrs we would get another 457 Visa.

You do realise that if the 457 is no longer valid for any reason, you literally only have 1month to find a new job. The you have to leave the country...

You do realise that if the 457 is no longer valid for any reason, you literally only have 1month to find a new job. The you have to leave the country...

Absolutely! It's quite common for people in my profession (engineering consultancy) to go out for 4 or 8 year stints.

Archived