Pre schools in SYdney

k8bug79

Hello, we are about to lodge my partner visa and have an intended date for our move of about Aug- Oct next year. My youngest would start school here in the September and in the Australian system will be of Pre-school age at the start of their academic year in Feb. I am not sure how registration for Pre-school places work but both me and my husband work full time. My elder two I can either find them a school that has after school care or find a child minder, but I need to ensure that my youngest gets some childcare otherwise I can't work and we can't afford to do this.

As I understand it Pre-school isn't compulsory so therefore there is no guarantee of a place. We have a few ideas of areas that we want to look at, do I just put her name down on a few lists, is there a difficulty in finding places? and will they accept this when we have no visa and no local address??

If I can't get her into a pre-school setting will daycare centres take her whilst I work?

Thanks

There isnt a universal free preschool program in NSW - in fact IIRC there isnt a free program at all and what few government preschools there are, tend to be in low SES areas and only 12 or 15 hpw.

You will have to find long term day care basically and that will set you back about $80 per day but as PR/citizens (making the assumption here) you will get child care rebate which should halve that. You may find that your workplace has a day care centre (if it is a big organization) otherwise it will be a matter of deciding if you want them in care near to home or near your workplace and search accordingly. Places in good centres may well be quite tight and as they are commercial ventures they couldnt give a toss about your visa status, just as long as you can pay their fees

Thanks again Quoll. Don't like the idea of having to pay for childcare again lol. Next month she will get her free funding here and would have that until she starts school in 18 months (although I have to top it up) Not sure she will like it either lol but tough!!!! Sorry I don't understand some of your abbreviations (technophobe) What is an SES area? We presume we will be permanent residents as we are married and have dependent children, we should be granted permanent rather than temp partner visa, but not holding my breath

Thanks again Quoll. Don't like the idea of having to pay for childcare again lol. Next month she will get her free funding here and would have that until she starts school in 18 months (although I have to top it up) Not sure she will like it either lol but tough!!!! Sorry I don't understand some of your abbreviations (technophobe) What is an SES area? We presume we will be permanent residents as we are married and have dependent children, we should be granted permanent rather than temp partner visa, but not holding my breath

Sorry, low Socio Economic Status areas - ie probably areas that you wouldnt want to live in but in which the kids need early intervention and parents less likely to be able to afford to pay for it.

• 4 months later...
Guest jeananne

im looking for a job in a pre-school in sydney

im fully qualifitied in childcare

i have a diploma in childcare & a management in childcare & montessori

Archived