Tourist Visa

purplealster

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this question..

We moved to Sydney at the end of 2004. My mum comes here on holidays every July (for 2 weeks) and then every Dec for (4 weeks) and has done so since we arrived here. The last tourist visa she was granted was a 5 year tourist visa, which was granted on the 15th July 2008 and it says “must not arrive after 15 July 2012”.

Now, she wants to come here again for her 2 week stint in July - Does that mean she must get a new visa OR can she still enter Australia prior to the 15th July, stay for 2 weeks and then leave or will that count as an overstay on her visa?

Many Thanks

Purp

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

The visa is subclass 676. It is a 5 year visa which states ''must not arrive after 15 July 2012''. It doesnt say anything about maximum stay length and nor is there condition 8503 - (no further stay) attached to the visa. We just wanted to know if it was best for her to just apply for a new visa as she will be coming again in December. The problem is that she isnt coming here from the UK, which would make it so much easier as she could just do an electronic application. She has to do a paper application which could take a few months depending on their backlog. Hence the question about entering Oz on the current visa as we could not be sure the new visa would be issued in time.

Regards,

Purp

Archived