Questions on Spouse VISA 309 vs 100

DaveS

Hi All

My wife and I have been cohabiting since around June 2010 & we have a child.

*Will I stand a shot at getting the permanent visa? (100) (I suppose what I am really asking is - do they look at the point of application for the cohabitation time or the point of visa issue)

*How much will the 309, temporary visa hamper me when looking for permanent work?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

For info, my wife and I had been cohabiting for 4 years (and married for two) when we applied for my 309/100 visa and were hoping that they'd bump me straight onto the 100, but unfortunately that didn't happen, so I'm here on a 309 at the moment.

We dont have kids so not certain of whether that will make a difference or not, but I'd have thought it may well do.

When applying for jobs, unless you are specifically asked, I'd suggest not to disclose which visa you are on (in particular dont put the info in your CV). You are likely to get asked at some point though, especially if they like what you can offer, at which point it's likely that they'll need some reasurance that you will be sticking around!

I've been here 6 months in total and have spent the last 4 months looking for a job - I've not been scatter gunning my CV about though as I have only been targeting certain roles (only applied for around 20 jobs in total so far). It's not that I dont want to work or am a lazy bleeder, its because I need to do a job that genuinely interests me and is varied, or else I'd go mad!

Fingers crossed as I have a second interview for a position in about an hour (they know my visa situation as they asked at the first interview and I (hopefully) convinced them I'll be sticking around here, which is definitely the case).

Good luck with everything mate!

Guest Guest31881

As you have a child I think you are in with a good chance of getting the 100, but if not when you apply for work you tell them you are on a spouse visa with full rights to work. if they do ask what the visa category is then tell them its temporary to be converted to permanent in June 2014 (or when ever) never speak as if you may not be in Australia then, make sure you give the impression you are here permanently.

Guest Guest31881
Hi Dave,

I've been here 6 months in total and have spent the last 4 months looking for a job - I've not been scatter gunning my CV about though as I have only been targeting certain roles (only applied for around 20 jobs in total so far). It's not that I dont want to work or am a lazy bleeder, its because I need to do a job that genuinely interests me and is varied, or else I'd go mad!

Fingers crossed as I have a second interview for a position in about an hour (they know my visa situation as they asked at the first interview and I (hopefully) convinced them I'll be sticking around here, which is definitely the case).

Good luck with everything mate!

I can understand you wanting to do a job you would enjoy, Nothing worse than being stuck a position you hate.

Good luck with the interview.

I can understand you wanting to do a job you would enjoy, Nothing worse than being stuck a position you hate.

Good luck with the interview.

Cheers SRP!

This second interview was for me to shadow the team for a couple of hours so I could get a feel if the job was for me whilst enabling them to check me out at the same time. I offered to do this at the first interview in the event that they thought I was a suitable candidate for the position.

This is something we used to do in my previous employment - if we liked the look of someone after the initial interview, we would invite them back for a second "working" interview.

I could well be preaching to the initiated here, so forgive me if I am, but this may be of use to others.

If during an interview the employer doesn’t ask if you would be happy to undertake a “working” interview (i.e. go work with the team for a couple of hours one day), I'd drop into the conversation somewhere that it’s something you’d be more than happy to do.

From past experience and having being on both ends of the stick, I’d say that a working interview is of great benefit to both the prospective employee and employer.

The reason I say this is 'cos as an individual or job role can look fantastic on paper, but in reality that piece of paper may turn out to be just a piece of used bog roll.

In relation to my working interview today, I ended up being there until close of play when they offered me the job, which I have happily accepted! It's an excellent team, a great working environment and a varied role, so just what I was after. Start on Monday and am chuffed to bits!

Ey up a sec.....have I just worked 6 hours for nowt………?! :wink:

Archived