How clean should my tools be

Neel1968

Hi to all

I am a cabinet maker and have alot of hand tools and workshop tools that I want to take with me if I am granted my visa.

By workshop machines have saw dust in them. How clean do the Aussies expect me to get them? Are they to be spotless or as clean as I can get them? May be I should not take them? I look forward to your advice.

Many thanks

Neel1968

Hi hubby is a mechanic so most of his tools were covered in oil.. He put what he could through a hot engine wash and packed them into new plastic tool boxes. The stuff that couldnt go through the wash had a good wipe down and everything arrived here without any problems.

Jeyes fluid is good to use as it stinks so customs know youve been cleaning as soon as they open your container.

Cal x

Hi Neel, I'm a carpenter and brought all my power tools over last year......think you will need to remove the sawdust.......I found the best way was to use a compresser and airline to blow the dust out.....saves stripping them all down.

If you have some big tool boxes ,think about splitting them as the shippers told us ,if it couldnt be lifted and carried by 2 men they wouldnt ship it. I know some of the bigger chests weighs a lot when full. Happy cleaning,lol, i cant say i envy you right now..

Cal x

Hi Cal,

I do not realise how much stuff I had until I stepped back and looked at it!

I will have to speak with the shippers to find out what they suggest about my cast iron table saw. It needs about 4 people to lift it. It only weighs 1200kg.

I am looking forward to thier faces when they try ;-)

So are you enjoying Brisbaine?

Neel1968

Have you had a look at Aussie Ebay, Gumtree and the Trading post? It might be cheaper to replace some stuff once here if its going to cost a small fortune to ship.

Brisbane is great with some really friendly people. We definately made the right choice moving here ,you can never be bored in Brisbane,lol

Where are you heading?

Cal x

We hope to move to Melbourne. I had to go for state sposorship after waiting 3 years for my 175 visa and then being told it might never get processed.

I want to attend the guitar making college there and then move into making guitars, furniture and building eco holiday lodges.

I am becoming a bit of a hippy these days and want to relax a bit after the hectic life here.

Hey, but I still have to get there which is getting a bit problematic anyway.

Neel1968

This place is not too far from us, we went to have a look but the estate style put us off, it was a great place though if you dont want big acerage living. - http://theecovillage.com.au/

Ive never been to Melbourne but we have quite alot of members live that way on. Lots of luck with your plans and fingers crossed you get here sooner than you think..

Cal x

Archived