457 or 856

gunu7

Hi

Pleave advice and help...

I am working as a cook in a restaurant for more than a year

Business is ready to sponsor me, But i am not sure which visa to apply 457 or 856 (exemption from skills? )

I have done my Job ready skill assessment from same restaurant.

I also have Australian qualifications.

Very confused

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you...

457 is a temporary visa for 2-4 years. Its generally more straightforward to get an 856 visa.

856 is permanent. If you apply for 856 visa, you need to do a migration skills assessment, unless you have been in the position for 2 years on a 457 visa (in which case no skills assessment required. job ready isn't what they're asking for. Your Australian qualifications will be good for your skills assessment :biggrin:.

If you have time I recommend going for the 856 visa straight away. Just bear in mind that the current processing time is about 6-8 months.

Thank you for your reply

So do you mean I can get exemption from 2years requirement for 856, As I have working in same place for 1year 3 months... So If I get my migration skill assessment I should be able to apply for 856?

Do I get this skill assessment done by TRA ?

Thanks you

Waiting for your reply

457 is a temporary visa for 2-4 years. Its generally more straightforward to get an 856 visa.

856 is permanent. If you apply for 856 visa, you need to do a migration skills assessment, unless you have been in the position for 2 years on a 457 visa (in which case no skills assessment required. job ready isn't what they're asking for. Your Australian qualifications will be good for your skills assessment :biggrin:.

If you have time I recommend going for the 856 visa straight away. Just bear in mind that the current processing time is about 6-8 months.

Thank you for your reply

So do you mean I can get exemption from 2years requirement for 856, As I have working in same place for 1year 3 months... So If I get my migration skill assessment I should be able to apply for 856?

Do I get this skill assessment done by TRA ?

Thanks you

Waiting for your reply

For 856 you need either

1. a positive skills assessment (no time on 457 visa required)

2. Have done 2 years on a 457 visa in the occupation (with at least 12 months at the company which is sponsoring you for the 856 visa) I think..

You're a cook, so I think its TRA. Don't take my word as gospel as things change. Double check everything for yourself!

Archived