Partially Sighted Applicants - Any Issues

LittleLakeGirl

Hi all

Firstly, apologies for all the questions, we've actually been on this Aussie track for a while now but as it now seems like it's all going to happen I'm finally asking the questions that have been niggling...

My husband is on track for a job offer (457) that should, fingers crossed, come to fruition in the next few months - face to face interviews done, now just waiting for something suitable to come up or be created for him. Our intention is for him to go out first and I'll follow (if we could go together that'd be great but I'm not sure it'll be possible) but I have one worry with my medical. I'm partially sighted, I have nystagmus, astigmatism & nerve damage caused by albinism (Yes, I might sound crazy going to somewhere like Australia with a condition like that but it's not severe - no white hair & red eyes, except if you take my photo, & I'd take exactly the same precautions with regard to sun safety as I'd take sat in my back garden here, or on holiday ie. factor 50, big hats & shade where possible).

The condition itself is stable, the only degeneration of my vision I'll experience will be down to age, and my prescription is comparatively weak, no where near the plus or minus 10 you need for free glasses here.

It is possible that in the future I might benefit from treatments like stem cell regeneration but it is not a condition that requires any kind of treatment to maintain a standard of living.

I work full time & claim no benefits in the UK, the only things I am entitled to are free off peak local public transport and assistance from the DWP through the Access to Work scheme, which amounts to a larger monitor for my PC, a CCTV magnifier (a glorified magnifying glass) and Zoomtext software for my PC, which I use only occasionally (all these items are 'mine' and go with me wherever I work). There are certain jobs my condition precludes me from doing, anything that involved driving or a certain standard for eyesight (police, fire etc) But other than that I'm only limited by other peoples' preconceptions

Has anyone had any experience in going for medicals with conditions like this? Has anyone had a rejection because of something like this? I'd hate to scupper my hubby's chances because of it. I had an informal conversation a while ago with a doctor who undertakes medical examinations for visas & he couldn't give me an answer as he'd never had a case like me. The closest case he had was a family with a blind child but there's no comparison.

Cheers

I don't know for sure, but I think the main concern DIAC looks for is possible future costs - and it sounds like you're pretty low maintenance on the cost front really :)

I've got a degenerative eye-condition, but 'cos I'm the aussie they didn't have any choice but to let me back in :)

That's what I'm hoping they'll realise after the medical. I suppose it's possible I may need to go to the eye hospital again for confirmation but as they signed me off at 16 & I haven't been since I was 19 - and then it was only out of curiosity because I wanted more information about my condition; no one had ever fully explained the causes, only the symptoms & for years my mum was sure it was because she'd been run over while pregnant! But then along came web 1.0 & I could research all I wanted - I may not even need to do that.

I think because you're only applying for a temporary visa it wouldn't really be an issue at this stage- I'm just curious though if you don't mind me asking- are you actually "registered" as partially sighted?? just that you said you've had no contact with the eye hospital & yet you get equipment/financial support & indicate that you're not allowed to drive..who makes those decisions? ....I'm sure I read somewhere that it could be an issue for a permanent visa application...anyone else have an idea?

Guest Genrol

Umm, first of all, I'm a red head, so I'm fairly pale and in summer - I burn like crazy. The Australian sun kills me during summer, so you'll need HEAPS of protection.

As for your eyes, Australia will provide you with more benefits then the UK government would. I'm not really sure what impact it would have on jobs... I know I'm red green colourblind and this prevents me from quite a few jobs, including most trades, several jobs in the army, the police force, most medical jobs, jobs that include fire (lol) and that's mainly it... So, of course it's not a benefit to have poor vision, but everyone has problems of their own, and it really depends on what job you want. It wont prevent you from gaining citizenship/a visa here, of course.

Archived