457 - what happens now?!

Hanbo24

OH has got the job, signed the paperwork, scanned it and sent it back.... what happens now?! We've been told he prob wont need a medical but so we hear anything else or will we just get notification to say his visas been granted?!

Been looking for info but its all a bit vague even on visa info websites!

Thanks for any info from those who have done it!

H x

I'm in the same boat, have asked a few questions on here but not many replies yet.

Still trying to find out if i need medical and IELTS but no definitive lists that say so. Guess you just have to start the ball rolling and see what gets asked for. Bit random for me as i like to prepare as much as possible.

457, you won't need IELTS as no points test applies

Depending on the answers that you put on the visa application form, you probably won't need a police check or medicals unless you have admitted to pat wrongdoing, and/or have lived in a high TB risk country or have declared other medical conditions. If your company is using an agent (as seems likely from the OP) then they will tell you if they think you'll need anything else. Once the agent has all the documents, they will lodge the application (you will get notified) and then if anything further is required. It probably won't be. If nothing further is required, you can expect the visa to be processed in a short time. Sometimes as little as a couple of days, sometimes up to 4 weeks but very quickly

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/_pdf/457-application-checklist.pdf

You're reading it wrong. You have to have proficiency in English, but if you check the link above you'll see that having evidence you completed your secondary education in an English speaking country is sufficient for this

The reason people need IELTS is that for visas that need a points test - ie NOT a 457 - you may need to show a higher or superior proficiency in English (all 7s or all 8s in the 4 modules) in order to get enough points, as achieving these scores give you 10 and 20 points respectively towards the 65 you need

If you come from the UK you are deemed to have ability to speak English - equivalent to all 6s on the modules - without sitting the test

Archived