is aus all that it is cracked up to be

clark

Hiya Clark,

No don't think odd for thinking Aus may not be for you....I knew it wasn't for me....I had a gut feeling that I just knew this place wouldn't be 'forever' and we were 5 years in the planning of the move.... we were not embarrassed about coming back...after the tearful goodbyes and then we were back 6 months later....everyone has been really nice since we have came back and are so happy to see us...as will your family be when or if you decide to come back....you could always go back just for a holiday first if you are still unsure, but after reading your post again I think you already know the Uk is where you are going to be its just a case of when???we also lived in Joondalup, near the arena, I heard David Guetta were playing last week is that the concert you were at? Sxx

hi pamela, hey i live 10 mins walk from joondalup arena it was great to go to the future music festival last week end to see fat boy slim, jesse j, tinie tempah, chase and status, swedish house mafia paul van dyke, new order etc, really good to see fatboyslim, legend, hope you enjoy the uk,

yesi think your right, thanks for the great things youve said and i think i,ll be going back this year as i hated xmas in oz and i dont think i could spend another away from fam freinds and the happy cheery xmas atmosphere at home

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest66881

Yeah crimbo is a weird experience here i have to admit, it's all those years of snow and ice,dark nights and grey days i suppose.

Firstly Petal, can I just say I really like your profile pic. Is that your garden? looks fabulous! Children not only need wings but roots too & your upbringing sounds very unsettling. Not good for kids at at all, with parents with itchy feet, wonder where you would feel you belong....? I have also heard so many stories of the other way around, with people who have emmigrated older kids to Australia only to find that they return to the UK. Can I think, become so messy.

It depends on so much & probably most importantly the age of the kids. Something to consider when moving either way. What is plan b, if one of your kids desperately wants to return to their country of origin?

We were fortunate in that our kids were under 5 yrs when we returned to the Uk. Bit like you, I want our kids to have security & be in a place we could commit to for the long term, but that was not Oz or Nz but the UK.

We really did not like Perth, perhaps we could have re-located to Sydney, (tho' has changes so much, since we lived there as backpackers 10 yrs ago & become so costly) but was all a bit risky . Kids came first & to be honest, probably would have solved only 1/2 our issues. Funny enough, I want for them what I had as a child. I grew up in a village with a wonderful community, had parents divorce in the mix & no family apart from my Mum in the area but was never lonely. Have very fond memories of that time and have returned & fortunately found something very similar for our kids.

Great community,fantastic early childhood system, lots of facilities for kids, open space, access to extended family during Christmas/family gathering & along with opportunities for them further down the track.

One thing that concerned me about Perth, was how many when they got older, left it for Sydney & Melbourne or Uk. Not sure there is enough there to keep them & actually alot do the O.E & head to the bright lights of London. (which bemused me intially, because having lived with it on my doorstep I could not understand the attraction! tho' having been away from it, I can now!) Some actually not returning.... I just didnt want my family spread all over the country because they had to due to lack of opportunity in their field. Not like UK, where at least if you want to see someone you just jump in the car!

Depending on what you do for work in Perth (construction/mining/government industries) outside of that & you got to up sticks. Opportunity is everywhere not just specific to one country. Depends really what you are after. For alot I think it is an adventure. There are those that recognise that & those that maybe dress it up as wanting a "better life" No place can guarantee that, it is very much down to you the individual, one thing I can say is, for us, Australia was a fabulous adventure but there is no place like home....

Strange I didnt realise that Perth didnt have any banks, insurance, IT, manufacturing, farming and catering companies. I need to ask the mates that I have that live there that all say they work for these type of companies if they do really live in Perth or the town up the road.

Strange I didnt realise that Perth didnt have any banks, insurance, IT, manufacturing, farming and catering companies. I need to ask the mates that I have that live there that all say they work for these type of companies if they do really live in Perth or the town up the road.

What i was trying to highlight is that most Head Offices are in Sydney or Melbourne so perhaps for a career path & depending on what industry you are in, then you increase your opportunites with a better spread of industries across all job sectors in those x2 capitals. Especially if you are a youngster, also more going on socially. Sorry to say but Perth hub just doesnt cut the mustard.

Everyone is different & I can only talk from my own experience but there seemed to be so many people that had their families spreadout all over Oz & I just didnt want that for mine, we got the best of both worlds were we are, living semi-rurally & London up the road for when/if they chase the bright lights, so to speak.....! Each to their own.

hi allthanks for your advice and concerns, i think at the end of the day its all down to family (for me personally0 its the pull of family , when i was going thru the emigration prog family members and friends said youll miss us wen ur overseas, i said i'd be ok but its when u r actually here away from fam and friends that u miss then big time, although i have e-mail skype and phone set up its still pretty tough wen uv finished the call to fam and friends, i think i will always be the same, ive also got the dilema of having a job in the uk in september if i want to go back, a job ive had before and i like , a driving delivery job in cumbria and southwest scotland. im thinking of poss an open flight to uk in aug so i could rtn to aus if required? niot sure if this is viable or anyone have advice on the type of ticket etc, cheers clark

:cool:hi all thanks again for your advice , i think ive come up with a solution for now; because i didnt like xmas in oz last year iv decided to go home for this xmas, but because of this job offer its brought it forward by some months, im thinking of getting an open flight to the uk and giving the job a go and gonna see how i feel in the uk, if after a number of months it dosent work in the ukl ive got the choice of coming back to aus, not sure if this is the right thing to do but ive got to try something, has anyone done this kind of thing and how did it turn out for you, cheers clark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Clark,

Have a read of my thread "17 months and thinking of going back" on the moving back forum.

I understand and agree with you, but I do suggest you do a bit of a tour round first while you have the chance...

Im not sure if its all its cracked up to be but even if it is there is loads of emotional stuff we never expected regarding missing home!

Hi Clark,

Have a read of my thread "17 months and thinking of going back" on the moving back forum.

I understand and agree with you, but I do suggest you do a bit of a tour round first while you have the chance...

Im not sure if its all its cracked up to be but even if it is there is loads of emotional stuff we never expected regarding missing home!

hi b;obby rob

thanke for referring me to your blog, very true and well written, for me the feelings are the same as its the big pull of family that is taking me back to uk, althought aus is a great great place to travel, which ive done extensively prior to gaining pr, its just ok for me live in. i plan going back to the uk in aug where ive got a job set up fopr me and live in adifferent part of my home city of carlisle,:smile: and the lake district , rolling green countryside, being able to laugh at the same joke with out having to tell it again and again to the aussies who dont get the pun of humour as we do, silly things like that ,i know its not very big but its home to mr, i just want to be happy , not that ive been sad and miserable since i came over but it is the thoughts in the back of my mind of home and family

cheers clark

Archived