Sydney or Melbourne?

Talieandtribe

Please help.. we really don't know where would be best for us?

Has anyone lived in both?

We are a family of 5, aged 30,31,12,9 and 4

Working in IT and childcare. Job opportunities look good in both cities.

We are moving for the great outdoors mainly, then more family time, and to be a bit more relaxed.

Where is the weather better throughout the year?

Commuting easier/shorter

We are a bit of a geeky family, not into football. More of a museum, walks, snorkelling, bunch.

We are at the point where we need to decide 176 route = Melbourne or 175=Sydney

I know we can go anywhere with a 175 but if we end up choosing Melbourne it would be a much quicker easier process to go for a 176

Sorry to ramble

Thanks very much, any opinions appreciated.

Hi,

I am in a very similar boat, I am going for a 176 visa and dependant on my skills assessment I am hoping to go to Sydney, but I may well end up in Melbourne (depends on ACS result).

I think Melbourne by all accounts has a more european feel to it, house prices are cheaper, and weather is more seasonal. Sydney is well Sydney!!!

I don't think you can go wrong with either, I am going with the thought of it will be a 2 years state sponsorship, and if I am unhappy in one after 2 years i can go to the other?

Hope your application goes well, fingers crossed for Sydney for me!

Cheers,

Dave

Please help.. we really don't know where would be best for us?

Has anyone lived in both?

We are a family of 5, aged 30,31,12,9 and 4

Working in IT and childcare. Job opportunities look good in both cities.

We are moving for the great outdoors mainly, then more family time, and to be a bit more relaxed.

Where is the weather better throughout the year?

Commuting easier/shorter

We are a bit of a geeky family, not into football. More of a museum, walks, snorkelling, bunch.

We are at the point where we need to decide 176 route = Melbourne or 175=Sydney

I know we can go anywhere with a 175 but if we end up choosing Melbourne it would be a much quicker easier process to go for a 176

Sorry to ramble

Thanks very much, any opinions appreciated.

If you look at the foot of this page it gives you a list of similar threads about Sydney and Melbourne which contain a lot of information to help. I have lived in both and live in Melbourne but I am me and cannot say you would be the same

I'm told that whilst you can just about avoid football here in Sydney, it's impossible in Melbourne, unless you join The Anti-Football League! I don't think it matters which one you choose to live in personally. Both with over four million people, with all the advantages and disadvantages that living in a big city entails.

I don't know if Melbourne has more of a 'European' feel than Sydney (whatever that means?) because both cities have large immigrant communities from all over the world. I was walking through Newtown last night and I'm told that Newtown is very similar to Camden in London?? If that means both sides of the street lined with restaurants, bars, pubs, shops?

At least Melbourne had the sense to retain its tram network!

Archived