457 Visa Route for application

Paul B

Hi all, new on here so a few questions.

I have secured a position as an Agricultural engineer in Aus and the company will sponser me and they do it quite a bit. As i am working away overseas it makes my time in UK quite limited. They have said that the 457 visa is the way to go.

Wanted just to see what i need to prepare and what i have to attend things for (medicals etc) as not always available and the all important budgeting! Already seen loads on here so very grateful for all the info so far.

What i can see i need so far:

Documents from employer in Aus

UK Passport

Application form (online?)

Maybe needed?:

Acpo clearance (got this recently for my current job so easy to get again)

Medical

References from various for renting property in Aus

Bank account setup, any recommendations (i have seen the threads on here)

Anything else i will need to do an application?

I know all this might seem a bit obvious but just trying to make a check list.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest haunted1234

hubbys employer sorted everything out for us and funded it. none of us needed medicals (hubby is an engineer)..... they just forwarded the relevant bits for us to sign etc.

NAB will let you set up a bank account from the UK you just have to show ID when you get here at your local branch. i also like NAB as my debit card is pink!

Make sure you print off a copy of your visa we found it so valuable as most places ask for a copy!

references for renting is a good idea...something we never had. Rentals work on a points system and you need 100 points i think to be able to rent...these points are made up of different forms of ID.

Make sure you register for a Tax File Number AS SOON AS YOU ARRIVE!

also medical cover which you should have with a 457 visa....Medibank are quite good....just go for the cheapest you can until you're settled as you can always increase your cover over the phone :o)

try and get your driving lisence converted over asap too as it's a good form of ID, not everyone will accept a euro license.

Remember to bring all your paperwork (bills,birth cert, etc) in your luggage, don't ship it as youll need a lot of it when you arrive!

It all happened very fast for us 3 months from first interview to landing in Cairns!

Good Luck!

Your employer are best placed to advise on what forms you need to complete; they will be submitting as they also have to provide evidence that they can't employ anyone already based in Australia. Most employers pay for this cost (not sure if it should be expected of you to do this ??)

You will need medicals and full police checks.

I would suggest you have bank statement printed off from the UK which show potential estate agents that you have money to cover rent in the initial stages - they may ask for 6 months rent up front.....and / or they may accept your offer of employment with details of your salary.

You can start the bank account setting up process from the UK - HSBC are here. We went with Westpac but a bank is a bank....

You will need to apply for a TFN but unable to do this until you have an address in Australia.

Bring as much ID as possible!

You can register with Medicare but would advise you have private medical cover - some visa's it is a requirement. If you need a doctors use a service that offer Bulk Billing - this will save you money :)

You only have 3 months to change your driving licence in QLD (not sure if this is different for other states). If you don't change within this timeframe you have to sit your test!

Archived