Hunter Valley - weekend away

pintpot

Hi

I'm looking for a decent place to go for a weekend away in the Hunter from Sydney for a weekend when my wife's sister comes over next month

Looking for a B&B or small hotel in a nice country town with a few things to do. Nothing major, just a good spot for a relaxing weekend. One of my reasons for fancying a trip up there is because I feel a bit hemmed in by the bush down here around Sydney - you can have too much eucalyptus forest

I'm hoping for a few more open vistas and some rolling grassland, if you see what I mean

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Ended up staying here:

http://www.cypresslakes.com.au/

Well, it was just great. We got a decent deal and it was a pleasure to deal with a professional company who wanted to discuss things like adults rather than stick to a silly mantra about 2 night stays (see other thread where I had a whinge)

The facilities there are superb. Gym (didn't see it, went runnning instead), 2 great swimming pools, golf course, tennis courts, good restaurant etc. The breakfast was exceptionally good. Staff really really helpful, accommodation really spacious and lovely - like having your own house. It's a bit corporate and conference-y, so not ideal if you want a backwoods cabin type of thing, but otherwise a very good value place I think. A pleasure to find somewhere in the Hunter that was run properly - I got hacked off with the number of tools who wanted to make out they were doing you a favour even picking up the phone, let alone allow you to hand them some money. Nice to find a business who actually know how to deal with customers, no irony intended (sadly)

As I suspected before we went up, the whole area was pretty quiet for a Monday night stay so it just makes the "2 day minimum" intransigence of most accommodation providers look even more stupid. Never mind, their loss. We loved the area (just superb to get some great views at last, nice to escape the city) and will definitely return; no need to go searching around for where to stay again. Treat customers well and get repeat business, y'see, not rocket science is it?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13176[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13177[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived