Anyone had their documents certified in the USA?

Maruska

Hi,

I realize this is not a USA forum but maybe there is some American here who could give me an advice.

Half of my documents were returned by the notary, apparently they can`t certify documents that have an official seal on them ( like school transcript, nursing registration certificate) or vital record ( passport copy, driver`s license). I read online that I can send my documents to the Australian embassy and have them certified there; however I am not able to make a cross-country trip right now and I would have to send originals , that scares me, what if they got lost :(

There is a honorary consulate here in Houston and they aren`t able to certify documents :(.

This is the first step in the long immigration process and already hit a bump on the road:(. Hope the rest of it will be way smoother :)

Any advice is appreciated.

Guest GoldCoastMag
Guest GoldCoastMag

We were in Florida applying for Oh's spouse visa. Just asked him and he had a notary he knew from work who had no problem signing they had seen the original.

I would try another notary or get a person off the list to sign it, the notary may have rules that JP's dont have in Australia.

We were in Florida applying for Oh's spouse visa. Just asked him and he had a notary he knew from work who had no problem signing they had seen the original.

I would try another notary or get a person off the list to sign it, the notary may have rules that JP's dont have in Australia.

Perfect, now I have an excuse to visit Florida:wink:

We had ours done there and the wording was that they had seen the original.

I will see if I can find one and edit this later.

Step 3. Copy and certify your documents

You must copy your original documents and have them certified by an Australian citizen from the designated list of occupations. <http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/documents/pid_docs/occupations_list/>

Applicants outside Australia

If you are overseas when applying, you can have your original documents certified by a citizen of your country of residence who is employed in one of the designated list of occupations.

Hope it helps. good luck

http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration/Registration-Process/Certifying-Documents.aspx

I`ve got the instructions above. I am not sure how would that work ( referring to your link), it says that a nurse can certify, but what about stamp? Will start looking for Justice of peace - don`t even know who that might be:eek:

Perfect, now I have an excuse to visit Florida:wink:

No, I don't think you have to do that.

In some States, certification of documents is not permitted. The way you get around this is by making copies of the originals and then having them notarized with the following words (you write the words before you have it notarized) in form of an Affidavit, which they accept in all States and in Australia:

STATE OF XXX, COUNTY OF ___________________; ss.:

______________________ [Print Name of Affiant/Custodian], being duly sworn, deposes and says: That the above pictured instrument of valid photo-identification is a true, exact, and unaltered copy of the valid original, my _____________ [description of instrument, e.g.: " Drivers License," "U.S. Passport," "U.S. Permanent Resident Card"], to which I am the instrument's custodian, named and pictured therein; and that I presented the original of the above pictured instrument to the undersigned notary public as satisfactory evidence of my identity. I understand and acknowledge that this affidavit is not a certified copy under XX State law.

X______________________________

[Print Name of Affiant/Custodian]

Sworn to before this ______ day of _______________, 20____,

__________________________________ (Notary Public)

[official stamp/seal & commission information]

No, I don't think you have to do that.

In some States, certification of documents is not permitted. The way you get around this is by making copies of the originals and then having them notarized with the following words (you write the words before you have it notarized) in form of an Affidavit, which they accept in all States and in Australia

STATE OF XXX, COUNTY OF ___________________; ss.:

______________________ [Print Name of Affiant/Custodian], being duly sworn, deposes and says: That the above pictured instrument of valid photo-identification is a true, exact, and unaltered copy of the valid original, my _____________ [description of instrument, e.g.: " Drivers License," "U.S. Passport," "U.S. Permanent Resident Card"], to which I am the instrument's custodian, named and pictured therein; and that I presented the original of the above pictured instrument to the undersigned notary public as satisfactory evidence of my identity. I understand and acknowledge that this affidavit is not a certified copy under XX State law.

X______________________________

[Print Name of Affiant/Custodian]

Sworn to before this ______ day of _______________, 20____,

__________________________________ (Notary Public)

[official stamp/seal & commission information]

Thank you Sol, that`s very helpful. My notary wanted to attach another piece of paper to my copy saying that its the true copy of original( for my other stuff, not the vital records). I thought that it should be written ON the copy, shouldn`t it? How did you certified copies look like? The notary is a employee in our condo complex and would do it for free:wink:

because I am a resident so that`s why I originally picked him but he told me right away he doesn`t have much experience and was looking for all the info on the internet. I guess I will rather pay someone to do it right.

Archived