Size of Aussie gardens / houses

jamjar

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest16631

.........and the age of the children makes a difference..............!....................we sat with our parents and our father chose the channel............... We had a vote............And now in friends houses I see more than one tv..!...and often more than one on..............( although we do have 2now! )

Older houses and blocks are much more sensible in terms of inside to outside ratio. They're nicer to look at too. I hate a lot of the new builds, many border on obscene in terms of aesthetics.

Especially if they have old fashioned verandah as well, it's really pretty and provides nice shade around the house from the sun.

Guest The Pom Queen
I have found older houses in older suburbs have a larger plot of land and a smaller house compared to new builds...since our arrival in Perth..we have lived in an older suburb and now a newer one...our house is around 6/7yrs old...land size around 600sq m ish...I like the size of my garden and the house and find the weeding takes up enough of my time.....BUT I don't like where the suburb is....we have basic amenities but if you want electrical,bunnings or clothes we have to travel around 5-10kms....and the public transport isn't great for kids....45 mins bus journey around to joondalup...my kids call it the never ending bus journey!

When we buy in a few yrs I really don't know what we will choose.

You will find most Australians don't want a huge garden, it's high maintenance and in some states it dies off as soon as summer starts, you will find they prefer to have more house instead. Up here in FNQ it seems totally different with most having larger gardens, but then they sit outside most of the year.

Guest guest17301

Our older house is on a large block, 760sqm, the house itself is not very big but we do have 2 decent sized lounges a medium sized kitchen/diner and 4 bedrooms. Its big enough but i would like a larger bathroom. Outside we have heaps of space, established native gardens... to the side of the house a large undercover patio area and garden then at the back a long gravelled and paved area with raised beds to the back, space for a pool and a shed. We also have a double garage on the block too and a big front garden and verandas front and back we can sit out under.....The upkeep is a pain but I love it. The new builds we saw were decent enough with lovely large rooms but mostly with at best a medium sized sterile paved/grassed area. Low maintainance but low charm too IMO