Social Worker

Guest Wendy Sparrow

I have a UK BA in SW and 3 years work experience. I took the step to have my qualifications assessed, I had to order all the module outlines for my course and send them to AASW. I had a positive assessment within 8wks. I am sure if you have a social work degree and 3 years work experience which is their requirement you will get a positive assessment. In fact when I put in my application I had not completed the 3 years yet and AASW said they had to wait until this was completed. My manager emailed them on the day I completed the 3 years and I got an email the next day and paperwork in the post.

Roseyyy

I looked at the AASW requirements some more, they want you to have 980h of field education. I only have 400h. According to their formula I can compensate for this with 24 month of work experience BUT:

"Where other curriculum deficits are compensated for by post qualifying full time social work employment, the employment

experience required for each deficit is cumulative, i.e. the same employment may not be considered for each deficit."

So I am already down 24 month and probably need to compensate for the missing parts of my degree as well. Did you have the required 980h of field work when you had your qualification assessed?

Thought I'd share what I know as I'm married to a social worker who went through the 176 visa process for Victoria, but it was actually me that did all the paperwork lol and that includes the AASW bit.

-Ok so first off certainly in Vic, if you want to apply for the 176 under social worker, then you need to get the AASW to assess your qualifications.

-Don't get too het up about the lack of adequate academic time spent studying social work. Their course equivalents over here are longer so UK social workers nearly always fall short on this, but as long as you've been practicing for the x amount of time on their guidance notes (sorry it escapes me how long it was), this will over ride any shortfall on time spent studying Social Work

-The AASW aren't on the same level as the GSCC so once you've got your qualifications assessed that'll be the last you hear of them as you can practice social work without being a member.

-Practicality wise, first off if you can get a job via skype without coming out here, then the job will be horrendous. So be weary of these Child Protection jobs that recruit UK social workers from overseas. If they accept UK social workers like this, it's because the Aus social workers ran a mile.

-Being a Child Protection Social Worker in Aus is in most cases worse than being one in the UK.

-Salaries for Child Protection Social Workers are very poor and undervalued. You're looking at anything from $45-55k per annum although a lot of these roles will have salary packaging which will make them a bit better. If the salary is higher than this (and I'm sure you'll see these roles in WA and NT, then they're going to be pretty horrendous.)

-Out here Welfare or Support Workers as they're called, despite not being qualified social workers often get paid just as much as qualified social workers. No idea why.

-The recruiters we came across in Melbourne were not great to be honest. They tended to devalue my wife's experience (5 years post qualified in a Disabled Childrens Team doing a lot of child protection for a London Borough), and make out that she wasn't as qualified as she clearly was. They tried to push her towards the child protection roles that no one else would touch.

-The creme de la creme of Social Work roles out here are hospital social workers, but really tough to get as this is the role that all the Aussie social workers want.

-From a Melbourne perspective, the best place to look for work was the Age in it's job section on Saturday, and to a lesser extent Seek

-Just on recruiters in fact, HCL don't have the presence over here that they have in the UK, so they're not bad here, but not as prominent as their UK version.

Off the top of my head that's the majority of what comes to mind. I don't know how any of you do the job. It's supposed to be rewarding, or certainly that's the ideal that I know you all set out to achieve, but sadly you're undervalued, stressed, poorly paid, and miss represented in the media. (Social workers on Corrie and Eastenders just make us cringe, they're so unrealistic!). And the days where you feel rewarded are few and far between. A lot of respect comes from my way......

Hi Wendy

I am currently in the process of completing the skilled migrant visa. I have 4 yr Batchelor of Arts Applied Social Studies (Social Work) with the obvious CCETSW Diploma. Now the assessor can inform you of the eligibility of the 3yr course etc but have they not mentioned the need to have 5 years work experience ( this varies from state to state( I am looking at Queensland and NSW.

Yes it cost $850 to have your qualification acreditated by the AASW (irrelevant of visa purely to practice)PLUS and extra $150 to have your skills assessment for your visa application. You will need alot of documents in relation to the actual course you attend (transcripts from the college) you will also need to sit the IELTS whic is around €185 whatever the stg equiv is - this is needed to up your points (should you not have 65). All this can be found on

http://www.aasw.asn.au/whatwedo/international-qualifications

And your visa application cannot go ahead without all this completed and returned etc

I find it quite daunting looking for work in Sydney as the job titles are very different and there seems to be alot of differences. I hear a PQSW can earn around $988 per week, Team leaders around $1300. But this is such a grey area and I am searching hard to be sure as this is very important to know to make plans as you know. There are alot of Non government organisations that employ social work staff which are not PQSW. Have you looked at

http://www.seek.com.au

I hope this helps, the information is endless but confusing. Good luck

Guest Wendy Sparrow

Hi,

the 1st year was 28 days, 2nd year 60 days & 3rd year 100 days = 1410hrs.

Also the AMHP PQ training at present is a 37 day placement = 277.5

Looks like I should be ok??

Guest Wendy Sparrow

Thanks for your post it's really useful. My background is mental health. Prior to qualifying in 2008 I have 5 years experience as a nursing assistant in a Psychiatric hospital & 5 years experience as a support worker & care manager in a community mental health team. When I qualified, for the 1st year I worked in a younger persons physical illness & disability team before my current job with a Community Mental Health Team where I have been for 4 years in September. I'm currently doing the Approved Mental Health Professional training. Your partner may be familar with this role, it used to be called an Approved Social Worker. Hence, I'm hoping to remain in the mental sector with adults, hopefully in Perth & not in child protection. I really admire child protection social workers and sadly many adults are also abused.

Corrie & Eastenders Social Workers, they're best on the TV then you can turn them off!! Thanks for the respect for the profession it's not easy, you're damned if you do & damned if you don't......

Guest Wendy Sparrow

Hi Murta,

Good luck with your visa, it' all very daunting & costly!! I'll check out those links you sent me. I'm looking to work in Perth in Mental Health with Adults. Don't know if there's work out there but hopefully I'll find out. Let me know how you get on with your application. Take Care.

You are correct as if you want to do child protection work in Victoria, you dont need AASW eligibility. In Victoria, WA, TAS and ACT you can do Child Protection as a Welfare Worker. This applies if you are on a 457 visa. If you are coming over on a skilled migrant visa then most difinitely you will have to get it assessed by ACWA.

Just a heads up, if you get offered a position in Gippsland, please do not accept as that's where I worked and it was horrible.

Hi Joanna82

"140 days (980 hours) of field education in at least two field placements" This requirement for me was met via the 200 days placements in my second and 3rd year. Did you complete your degree in the uk?

No I have a degree from Denmark with 400h of field education in one placement. I actually worked full time as a social worker during the summer before my last semester, but I am sure that doesn't help me in any way with AASW.

The way I see it I have 2 shortfalls,

a) my degree is only 3.5 years instead of 4 years and

b) I only have 400h field education instead of 980.

I also have 3 years post graduate work experience which should compensate for a OR b but probably not for a AND b, according to AASW:

"Where other curriculum deficits are compensated for by post qualifying full time social work employment, the employment

experience required for each deficit is cumulative, i.e. the same employment may not be considered for each deficit."

What do you guys think, chance it with AASW or go the safer route as a welfare worker? I am thinking mainly 176 purposes here not employment.

Guest Wendy Sparrow

Hi

After sending my CV to the Visa Bureau I have been advised to apply for the Skilled-Independent Visa 175 & them act as a Migrant Agent. They will assist with the application to the AASW for the Skills Assessment. Quite costly to say the least, 1st instalment £1440 & then the rest ££££££££££££££££

Hi

After sending my CV to the Visa Bureau I have been advised to apply for the Skilled-Independent Visa 175 & them act as a Migrant Agent. They will assist with the application to the AASW for the Skills Assessment. Quite costly to say the least, 1st instalment £1440 & then the rest ££££££££££££££££

I personally don't think it's necessary to go through a migration agent and certainly not for the AASW side of things. I'm not even a Social Worker, but still managed to complete their forms for my wife without anything more than a bit of a sigh and a moan. I'm not saying it's easy, but if I can do it working in a completely different industry, then you should be able to. And the same with the visa process as a whole, if you've got your head screwed on properly you can do it yourself......