Being invited to throw a prawn on the Barbie!

ali

I've heard if you get invited to a barbie you take your own food (unlike here where the host usually provides everything). We obviously don't want to embarras ourselves when we get there so what's the etiquette??

Ali :lol:

Guest scott&lisa

Hi Ali,

I think I have read somewhere an invite to a barbie/party is often "bring a plate" so everyone brings a plate of food to share with everyone else - at least I think that is what it means.

Could be wrong - I usually am!!!!

Lisa.

Guest stephanielouise981

Hi,

My Mum threw a barbie when we were over there and everyone brought a 'plate'... there was ever calamari (*sp). I'm not sure about beer but someone brought some champagne too.

HTH

Steph x

Guest ABCDiamond

Party / BBQ invitations in Australia.

Yes, it is very different to the UK. In the UK we are used to the host providing everything, although we often bring a bottle.

Australia is different, and for a good reason.....

When we have a party in the UK, the host spends loads of time in preparation, and can spend a lot of money too ! So how often do they happen ? Most social gathering may be down the pub :)

In Australia, most social gathering is in someones back garden, NOT down the pub, and it may happen a couple of times per week, same as the UK'ers go down the pub ?

If everyone brings a plate of food, AND their own drinks, then the host does not have to worry too much about the preparation, or the cost :)

Consequently, having a BBQ etc is not a big deal, and can be done with ease, and often.

Do not do as someone I know first did. They brought a plate, as requested, and knife and fork too, assuming the host didn't have enough crockery or cutlery :D (no food on plate)

An embarrasing way to find out that the term "Bring a Plate"actually meant "bring some food with you" ;)

When we went to Perth last October we were invited to a barbie.

It was at an friend's who used to live here 10years ago. We went with a couple who have been there for 3 years.

Anyway the answer is yes, you should take a dish with food in it of some sort. The couple we went with took a Thai beef salad which she made up in minutes. That is the norm out there. And actually makes you feel more relaxed about meeting up with people you haven't met before, for some strange reason.

Archived