176 visa questions

Annie38

Hi

right at start of researching, believe 176 best for us. My degree is on the SOL Schedule 2 which requires state sponsorship - I've looked on each states website for their list of required occupations, but my degree not there ??? Does anyone know, do I just go ahead and start process or does my degree need to be on some states list somewhere ??

Is there a charge for state sponsorship (hopefully Victoria)?

Has anyone been turned down for state sponsorship, if so , why ?

Does the 20 hr minimum employment (12 out of 24 previous mths) apply to 176?

I've read DIAC's Booklet 6 re 176 visas but doesn't mention anything about 20hrs, however I know I've also read it elsewhere that you do need it - alot of conflicting info - anyone shed some light?

If you get SS, does it cancel out requirement of 20 hrs (I jobshare at the moment 18.5hrs)

Thanks

Guest Annafromeast

hi. Annie.

just happened saw your post.

First suggestion, try to short your question next time you need help. and don't ask too many in one post. i spend quite much time in reading your post.

Well, there's charge for state sponsorship. and it take around 2 to 3 months to get the result.

I have ever turned down fro sponsorship as the predicted quota has been exceeded that year on that discipline.

Other questions i am not sure. You can search the state government website and read it.

Good luck~

Hi Annie!

I don't know all the answers to your questions, but I'll try to answer the ones I know the answer to..

First of all, what occupation are you intending to apply on? If you like, you can always send me a private message and I can try to help you out! I too found my job on the SOL Schedule 2 so required state sponsorship. Depending on the occupation you are applying with, you may need your skills assessed. It should be written which assessment body will carry out the assessment for your nominated occupation. Most states charge a cost for sponsorship, for e.g. ACT charges $300 for their state sponsorship. But not all states charge, I don't know much details about the other states besides ACT and Victoria.

Victoria has no charge for their state sponsorship. I'm also applying for Victoria SS.

Yes, the 20 hour minimum employment applies to the 176 visa. You'd need to be employed for at least 20 hours a week to be able to count your work as work experience that is closely related to your nominated occupation. I remember that for VETASSESS, which is the assessing body that I am to be assessed by stated that I needed the 20 hours a week as work experience.

As far as I am aware, most state sponsorships require your skills to be assessed, so I'm afraid that you'd fall under the 20 hours a week clause.

I'm sure some of the other 176 applicants can hopefully shed some light on their opinions and experiences! Good luck!

Your occupation will need to be on the State Migration Plan of the State/territory that you wish to apply to. You need to look at each SMP to see if your occupation is on there http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/state-plans.htm

You will need to have your skills assessed before you can proceed to SS.

My best advice for you would be to speak to a RMA, as maybe they will be able to assist you better on best way forward. Many will give inital consoltation free - some are recomended on PIO.

Archived