Moonlight Cinema

JoandJon

We've been to the Melbourne one a couple of times now and thoroughly recommend it ;)

Last night we saw Tintin (ok not exactly my favourite movie, but it was a really good night, and the others really enjoyed it).

You can BYO food and drinks and it's a really relaxed evening! We even got to take the Satchdog with us :)

Advice if anyone is going:

1. Prebook online and print out your tickets - that way you avoid the queue at the box office.

2. Get there early (a little before the gates open) - that way you can wander around the gardens a bit and then be early through the gates and get the best position on the grass. Plus parking is a challenge @ the Melbourne venue!

3. Take a cushion for your head, and don't forget your picnic rug and dinner :) Although you can hire bean-bags, there's always a queue to return them at the end - plus I'm a cheapskate!

4. Go for the gourmet (or not so gourmet) picnic option rather than relying on buying food there - the queues can be long and although the food looked good, our picnic looked (and tasted) much better.

5. Keep an eye out for the bats once the sun starts to go down - they're amazing and quite eerie :)

n.b. if you're not quite the cooks that Jon & I are, go for the cooked chook, salad, rolls and a bought dip option!

Our menu for the evening was:

* Homemade Vietnamese rice-paper rolls (red cooked pork, prawn, pickled carrot, lettuce etc) with 2 dipping sauces (sweet soy & ginger, and a lime & chilli)

* Risoni and Salmon salad (dill, lemon, risoni, spinach, poached salmon)

* Homemade white chocolate cheesecake (made with a mixture of cream cheese and ricotta)

* French champagne (not for me, but the others said it was lovely - I had ginger beer instead)

Guest The Pom Queen
OMG - a proper drive-in!!!! And we can take Satch :)

That's a really good price too.... might have to arrange a drive-in night with the family... :)

I know they do food there as well so you don't need to take a picnic although most people pick up a pizza on the way. You will have to tell me what it's like.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived