Would these health problems stop us?

Guest Hazel C

Guest Hazel C

My son and his family have just emigrated to Oz and I and my husband are wanting to go to be with them. We are in our 60's and wonder if my husband's health problems would stop us when he has a medical which I believe is towards the end of the process. All my husbands conditions are completely under control which we could obviously prove with the help of our GP. My husband has angina, high cholesterol, vertigo, high blood pressure and diabetes, all totally controlled with medication. Does anyone who has any or all of these conditions know how they would be viewed when it came to the medical?

I assume you pass the balance of family test and are thinking about contributory parent visa. If so it is likely to be 3-4 years until the meds as your son will need to be settled in Oz, they say usually 2 years (and someone was recently refused as their child had not been there for 2 years prior to application).

So it may depend if his condition worsens, part of the cost of the visa is to cover health/medicare. So it will all depend on the cost to Australia. I am not an expert but I wouldn't think that any of these conditions would be unusual for parent visa applications or fail a medical, but each case is different.

Archived