Hi everyone, a non-pom newbie! :)

Sephie

Hi guys!

I decided to join this forum as I think I've spent a far bit of my free time (and work time) browsing this forum and it's just so fascinating and full of information!

A little about me... I hesitated in the first place to join this forum as I'm not actually from the UK, but I'm from Malaysia and currently residing in the Netherlands. However, we are planning to migrate to Australia in the next year or so (depending on the visas). We (my husband and I as well as our 3 furry kittens) decided on Christmas Day last year that we would start proceedings into the visa application in hopes that we can still manage to submit our 176 visa with Vic SS before the July 01 2012 deadline, but it's going to be really tight as I have only just sent off my documents to my agent in Australia for VETASSESS assessment.

I'm the main applicant and will be sitting the IELTS Academic Training exam this Saturday! I know we only need the General Training exam for migration purposes but our backup plan is to go via the study route as I may decide if this 176 visa application falls through to enter via a graduate nursing program. We have saved a lot for this as I always knew that we would never stay in the Netherlands forever... Also I did do my bachelors and a masters course in London, UK and my A-Levels in Kent hence in some odd way I feel quite at home in this forum rather than participating in a Dutch forum (just as well as my Dutch is decent, but not very fluent).

My husband is Dutch and is in the Mechanical Engineering line but he doesn't have a bachelors' degree so it wasn't possible for him to be the main applicant. We have no children except for our 3 lovely fluffy cats which will be coming with us to Australia.

Oof, I've waffled on a fair bit now! I shall stop here and continue perusing the forum! :)

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Sephie welcome to the forum, you don't need to be from the UK to be a member so dont worry. We have members from all over the world.

Aww thanks guys! And phew! I can rest easy now then and continue browsing the forum! :) In many respects, I actually thought about moving back to the UK, but both me and my husband preferred the better weather and outdoor life in Australia a bit more! Also, I found it so tiring to read the Dutch forum because I had to translate so much (in my head) and I already started to lose interest just from reading the titles of the threads in those forums..

Thank you so much Maruska! :)

I'm afraid I might have to admit that I'm just a tad addicted to this place already!

Me too :biggrin:

I take at least a little peak every day!

I`ve already found tons of useful info which is great for when you are beginning the process and don`t know where to start, it`s overwhelming:eek:

Hey Maruska! Haha! We're both addicted! :)

Hmm, in regards to not knowing where to start, what is your background and what is your plan (as in which route would you take) to move to Australia?

We were also overwhelmed by the amount of information to absorb and take in and the choices that we could take, but in the end after reading this forum, getting opinions from my family and our agent, we have decided on our route with the study route as our back-up plan!

Hey Maruska! Haha! We're both addicted! :)

Hmm, in regards to not knowing where to start, what is your background and what is your plan (as in which route would you take) to move to Australia?

We were also overwhelmed by the amount of information to absorb and take in and the choices that we could take, but in the end after reading this forum, getting opinions from my family and our agent, we have decided on our route with the study route as our back-up plan!

We are going to apply for skilled migrant visa - 175 ( independent) or 176 ( state sponsorship). We decided not to go the 457 ( work visa) because we have 2 little kids and if we aren`t permanent residents we would have to pay for school and healthcare for all 4.

My husband and I are both nurses and we currently work in the USA.

I am going to be the visa sponsor for my family since my background is ER nursing and my husband`s is in oncology which did not appear on the Skilled list for Queensland where we are planning to go.

IELTS booked for April... then skills assessment.... seems like a looooooong way to go!

So you will be going on a student visa?

BTW I`ve been to Netherlands and loved it! Amsterdam was my favorite!

Hey Maruska! Ah, nice to see that you are both nurses! I was actually thinking of changing my career to nursing in Australia if our route falls through...

I am doing my IELTS tomorrow with my husband and we are applying with the 176 Victoria SS route. I am just hoping that I can pass VETASSESS hence the backup of going as a student if it fails!

We live near Rotterdam, Amsterdam's nice! It has all the charm that Rotterdam lacks!

Archived