As the song goes, should I stay or should I go.

Guest mccarudd

Guest mccarudd

Hi

just been offered a lecturing job at Monash in Melbourne. I'm 40, and am going through a divorce (no kids) in the UK. The wage on offer isn't very good, about 56K, but I've been offered rapid promotion. I'm currently working in Liverpool.

I'm quite a sociable bloke, as it goes. But I'm hesitant about going by myself. Can people advise me on possible steps for setting up a social network in Melbourne? Is that wage really terrible? (Should be bringing about £60k once house sold/divorce settled-thinking of an inner city 1 bed flat).

Guest stuckinblighty

I think you know what answer your gonna get on a forum like this :wink: Of course you should go,its a great opportunity and whats the worst that could happen ??

As for the wages i believe that to be the national average so you should be ok :)

Go on...go for it ....you know you want to !

regards,Lee

Guest mccarudd

Yeah, you got me in one, looking for validation :lol: Some practicle tips would be welcome tho. Especially on getting into the social side of things.

Guest ABCDiamond

I agree. Even if just for the adventure. Don't stay and then turn around in a few years time and say... "What If"

I was 34 and single again when I first came out here, and I wasn't a social type of person, much more of a loner actually.

But I did OK, met many people through work, even ended up with a string of girlfriends, and then married one !!

There are many ways to meet new people quickly, including speed-dating if you are game for that sort of thing ;)

I started on a low wage, but it soon built up. I have noticed that many migrants have to do that; the employers like the chance to see how you do, before giving the higher wages.

The national average wage figures at August 2005 were quoted as:

* Full-time adult ordinary time earnings $53,175

* Full-time adult total earnings $55,739

A recent newpaper report shows this a little higher now.

Guest mccarudd

Cheers

looks like I'm going...think will leave the speed dating tho...

ideas for flat place for 200k-300k?

Guest ABCDiamond

Have a look at realestate.com.au for property.

They currently list over 200 options for 1 or 2 bed units for between $200-$300k in the Melbourne City area

Look at this link

I can't help on actual locations down that way though, being more QLD orientated now :)

Good Luck to you mccarudd.

Youll find people on here will help you every step of the way - just ask

take care loz

Guest stephanielouise981

Hi,

Go go go go go!!!! You will never bump into your ex if you live that far away. That is not a bad wage to start out with, especially as you don't have any children.

As people keep saying to us 'you can always come back', not that I imagine we will.

My Mum married an Australian and now has a lovely group of friends all of her own. She met most of them through work. She is very happy out there - apart from leaving me and my brother over here (not for long though).

You only live once... I know that is such a cliche but if you really think about it then you have to try it. Never regret the things you do, only the things you don't. If you didn't give it a go you would always wonder what life could be like on the other side of the world.

Melbourne is so beautiful too. I love it

Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

Steph xxx

Guest mccarudd

Well this is all turning into a bit of a no brainer! Thanks to ABC Diamond for the excellent property link. Seems like I'm going as long as I can

finish the book I'm writing

decorate the house

sell it

sort the divorce

negotiate immigration

in the next few months!

Guest mccarudd

"No brainer" means there's nothing to think about really. Survey says "I'm going"

Hope you didn't think it was some sort of insult :oops: :)

Guest Beki

Now I feel a twit! I honestly didn't know what you meant :oops:

Sorry! It's taking me a while to keep up sometimes, I've just worked out what lol means.

You're right it certainly is a no brainer, hark at me getting in with the lingo!

Guest Marylou

Just read all the postings here- some really good advice-BUT were I you I'd be inclined to rent before you buy. Probably that is what you meant in which case ooops!

Guest mccarudd

Could I just ask a question about travel? I think I'm to be based in Berwick, but being a single bloke who will be in search of similarly single friends, especially of the female variety :wink: , I don't fancy the suburbs much. How are trains from the inner city to Berwick? Long? Expensive?

Archived