We have decided on Perth or Not...

jamjar

Hi all

Frist threat on here.

After finally deciding on Perth (quality of Life, beaches, lots to do) for a 30 something professional couple from London, looking to start a family in the next 12-18 months, should land in Oct.

We are having second thoughts, we ruled out Melbourne - great city (no great beaches and iffy weather). Ruled out Brisbane my wife just doesnt like it - no real reason (I could give it a go). And neither of us warmed to Sydney.

Saying that being an accountant - I have done research on the cost of properties in the 4 cities. We ranked them 1. Birsbane - ish (Coomera etc) seems nice and good value for money. 2. Perth (Iluka) looks nice and good, then 3 Melbourne (up in the hills) and then 4. Sydney.

Funny enough, we have been to all the cities accept Perth and we really liked the look of it (from what you can gather on websites and yes I know they only show the picture perfect lifestyle) but since joining this website and doing some more reading we are concerned.

Some of the things that are making us concerned:

Property - Lots of complaints about Perth being so expensive, but from what I can gather - you get nothing in Sydney for $800k and something pretty nice in Perth for $800k - are we missing something??? Yes you would get a lot more in Coomera for that but not in Melbourne and definately not Sydney - in a good area.

Then we have been reading the food costs more - well surely not that much more if at all. Not sure how it works there but Tesco in London charges the same for food and the Tesco in Manchester or Glasgow. Does Coles charge different prices from city to city?

Fruit and Veg are worse quality than the other cities???

Perth has some of the Dumbest school leavers in the country, cant be that bad surely??? Doesnt it have more universities than Sydney.

Crime is really bad?

Nothing to do and boring, now granted we do enjoy going out for a nice dinner (pretty often) and a drink (small scale drinking by most Londoners standards). So although pretty expensive from what I can tell, there are nice restaurants and a few bars. And there is good diving and snorkling, bike trails, hiking, parks etc OR am we totally delusional???

No professional move to Perth (accountants, bankers, lawyers, doctors), the only people who move here are the scum of the north. Well I really find this hard to believe or again are we wrong??? I am also from the North just in case you are wondering :-)

Any info/opinions/views or wake calls are appreciated.

Many thanks

Hi all

Frist threat on here.

After finally deciding on Perth (quality of Life, beaches, lots to do) for a 30 something professional couple from London, looking to start a family in the next 12-18 months, should land in Oct.

We are having second thoughts, we ruled out Melbourne - great city (no great beaches and iffy weather). Ruled out Brisbane my wife just doesnt like it - no real reason (I could give it a go). And neither of us warmed to Sydney.

Saying that being an accountant - I have done research on the cost of properties in the 4 cities. We ranked them 1. Birsbane - ish (Coomera etc) seems nice and good value for money. 2. Perth (Iluka) looks nice and good, then 3 Melbourne (up in the hills) and then 4. Sydney.

illuka is nice i think the average house price there is the mid to late 700s and above , its set between oceanreef and burns beach , it takes about ten mins in the car to get to hillarys marina where there are loads of eating places and a few bars.

about 7 to ten mins to joondalup which again has eating places and a couple of pubs and night clubs .

the train stations are in edge water , currembine and joondalup [ closest ones to illuka [ 5 to 10 mins away

i belleive oceanreef is a good snorkeling diving beach , as i dont snorkel myself i cant go into detail i just look at the ocean thats enough for me !!

Funny enough, we have been to all the cities accept Perth and we really liked the look of it (from what you can gather on websites and yes I know they only show the picture perfect lifestyle) but since joining this website and doing some more reading we are concerned.

Some of the things that are making us concerned:

Property - Lots of complaints about Perth being so expensive, but from what I can gather - you get nothing in Sydney for $800k and something pretty nice in Perth for $800k - are we missing something??? Yes you would get a lot more in Coomera for that but not in Melbourne and definately not Sydney - in a good area.

Then we have been reading the food costs more - well surely not that much more if at all. Not sure how it works there but Tesco in London charges the same for food and the Tesco in Manchester or Glasgow. Does Coles charge different prices from city to city?

Fruit and Veg are worse quality than the other cities??

?

we grow a lot of fruit and veg here so i dont see how its worse than over east , bananas come from up north , fruit from bindoon apples from down south , veg from wanneroo etc and swan valley.

i think food prices can vary i know in centre point in midland the fruit and veg were expensive and a greengrocers opened up over night the prices in woolworth went down to compete.

Perth has some of the Dumbest school leavers in the country, cant be that bad surely??? Doesnt it have more universities than Sydney.

Crime is really bad?

as to the above i think people who think we are dumb over here must be pretty bloody thick them selves to have that opinion !!lol

crime is the same as every where the population is getting bigger the crime is going up , no better and no worse than any where else ,

Nothing to do and boring, now granted we do enjoy going out for a nice dinner (pretty often) and a drink (small scale drinking by most Londoners standards). So although pretty expensive from what I can tell, there are nice restaurants and a few bars. And there is good diving and snorkling, bike trails, hiking, parks etc OR am we totally delusional???

there is plenty to do depending on what your intrests are, , diving and snorkeling no problem , trail biking no problem , used to see that in the pine forrests in gnangara rd and up towards yanchep etc , hike to your hearts content , etc

No professional move to Perth (accountants, bankers, lawyers, doctors), the only people who move here are the scum of the north. Well I really find this hard to believe or again are we wrong??? I am also from the North just in case you are wondering :-)

pmsl do they really say that ??? im from the midlands

Any info/opinions/views or wake calls are appreciated.

Many thanks

years ago perth was a lot smaller for instance we didnt get a lot of the international acts now most of them come to perth some come to perth and miss out a lot of the other aussie cities , ive seen more international acts than i ever did in the uk ,

i do think people think perth in fact australia is very laid back , its deceptive as you work hard here but then some play hard to

all the best

Perth is known as a bit of a cashed up Bogan sort of place. It can be a bit rough around the edges and is not as primm as it may appear at first appearance. Post above pretty much right in stating that it is not as laid back as some suggest either.

Some big money is being made in the mines or in energy. A lot of UK folk reside in Perth,indeed this city remains number uno for incoming UK folk. I lived in London a few decades myself and don't come across so many here. More likely I suspect to be attracted to cities like Melbourne witwhich has far more of a buzz.

Saying that you say you are wanting to start a family soon. In that case Perth may suit. Only you can know what does it for you. Can only suggest to come and look first and see if it works for you.

Perth must be the most debated city in Oz. Some love it while many can't come to turns with the life here...

Archived