Shipping High Value jewellery Items - Help needed pls

laurab1987

Hi, Hopefully someone will have a solution for us! We are emigrating to Perth on 9th March 12, however, we are going travelling around Asia for 3/4 months prior to arriving in Perth. We will be backpacking with just our rucksacks and I have an engagement ring, bracelet, watch & my partner has some watches and in total the value comes to about £6,000. Obviously we don't want to wear these items or take them in our backpacks incase they get lost so we were planning to leave them with family here and get them to send it all over to us once we are in Perth.

I have looked into sending with Fed Ex etc and they only seem to insured up to a value of £1,000. Does anyone have experience of doing this or know a company that we could send with?

All advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance : )

Pretty sure you can insure with UPS for the full amount, they charge 1% of the declared value, so if you declare the value at £6000, then the insurance will cost an additional £60, so you're probably looking at around £150 to ship.

Parcelforce will compensate up to £2500, but as you'd have to ship 2/3 packages, it would work out way more than UPS.

Guest Guest62720

I am a Director of Insure-Your-Move.com

Whilst most marine household goods transit polices normally exclude jewellery, furs, coin or stamp collections and the like some insurers will extend cover to include such items at an additional premium.

They may impose certain restrictions such as ensuring the goods are signed over and then packed by the foreman of the packing crew and are shown as miscellanaeous on the packing inventory. Cover might exclude 'mysterious disappearance' but normally most marine household goods transit insurers will agree to extend cover so it would be worth speaking to them.

Archived