False or Not Given - IELTS

daveg1980

Hi,

I have spent the past week or so practicing the IELTS reading test, so far its ok, but I am losing marks on the True, False and Not Given options.

Its so frustrating!!! I feel for anyone having to get 8's overral!

These are the questions that are tripping me up!

I guess i just got to keep at it, did anybody else have similar problems in this area?

Cheers,

Dave

Guest guest59177

Hi,

Here is a little secret to crack the IELTS and GRE logic questions. You need to know predicate calculus in order to be able to ace them. You can pose the various pieces of information provided as predicates, an then apply boolean logic to ascertain whether a given statement is true, false, or cannot be determined from the information given. So anyone who's done a mathematical logic course or even a discrete mathematics course (any respectable, modern discrete maths course MUST include this) at Uni is on an unfair advantage. Unfair, because once you start applying these tools, the questions become stupidly simple - they are mechanical almost.

Try posting some questions and choices on here and we'll try to work through them. Hopefully that will give you a good idea. Good luck!!!

Guest liverpoolollie

hi daveg.

i need 8,s grrrrrr ,just booked my first test for 31 march,my mrs bought me the ielts 8 book and cd to practice.

the problem with the ,not given,answers is that you have to re-read most of it ,where as with true or false you have already been given the answer really if you remember it all.

from what i have been told on here its practice ,practice :confused:

good luck.regards

liverpoolollie.

Archived